remington 710 vs Savage 10fxp 4 newbie

user543193

I'm in the market for a beginner rifle, I've looked at the 710 and the savavge. Both are around $350 and come with a scope, both are chambered in .270, I plan to mainly use this for target shooting, and I must stick with this caliber for it is all they have in stock at walmart. If I like target shooting I plan to get a upgrade to a remington 700 sendero.

Any thoughts as to which rifle is a more complete starters package, I have to keep costs down, and these rifles seem like a good deal since they come with optics. 270 seems to be a good caliber since i don't plan on hunting with it.

Thanks for your responses I hope they will help me make the right descion

Bongos

I'd go with the Savage, I own the 110FP and it's a very accurate rifle, I also own many Remington 700s and am impress with the Savage, it can hold it's own. Out of the Remington line, I would stay away from the 710 series, though I have not own one, many knowledgeable people is against it and suggested the 700 if you go Remington. By the way, a used Remington BDL /ADL goes for about $300. You can get a scope like a Swift for $80. These scope are pretty good, I own a couple, they are not as clear as my Leupolds but again great scope for the money. By the way, which ever rifle you decide, I strongly think a trigger jog will be needed. Good luck

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Another vote in favor of the Savage.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are many equally good, if not better, package-deal guns at the gunshows. This is particularly true if there is an individual selling off a collection.

The best deals are commonly on Sunday afternoon, just before folks pack up to leave. They'd rather haul a few ounces of money, instead of several pounds of gun. :)

Art

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
One of the threads running now about the Savage rifle has some negative comments about their "plastic" stock.

As well, I'm underwhelmed by the Remington 700 ADL's synthetic stock. Too flimsy in the forearm.

Quality synthetics are okay; wood and laminated wood are okay. After all, they've been using wood for stocks since before my grandaddy wuz born...

Art

ronin308

Awesome! That will be a fun new purchase for you. Just to re-iterate to everyone here, including myself:

1) All guns are always loaded
2) Never allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to destroy
3) Keep you finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire
4) Be sure of your target and what is beyond

Enjoy your new rifle and don't forget to keep it snugly in the shoulder pocket. ;)

Giant

You will like the savage, they are a good honest solid rifle. I have a Savage 111FC in 30-06, with a good scope on it, though I have other more expensive rifles, the Savage will hold its own with any of them in the field, a very under rated american rifle.

The Remington 710 is in my opinion a poor excuse for even an entry level rifle. I tested two of them at different stores. The bolt is very tight and and sticky! On game like bear or boar you won't be able to chamber a round for a second shot in time to avoid a real bad day! A gun like that could get a fellow killed. Remington, as I understand it from reading gun mags did some correction work on the tight sticky bolt, but in my opinion it did not correct the problems, I would not be surprised to see this rifle dropped from the Remington lineup, soon!

And yet I have seen the Remington 710 reviewed well in several gun rags, they even mention the rough sticky bolt action. One wonders how much money is involved when writing a review of a new low cost hunting rifle?

Giant

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Apparently the 710 is quite adequate for hunting, given the uniformity of reports of its one MOA capability. I missed the "rough and sticky". to me, it's a rifle for the sometime deer hunter who sights in, shoots a few rounds during the season and is then done for the year.

Of course, if you can get one cheap enough, a Dremel tool and a bit of skill will take care of the "rough and sticky". :)

Art