Remington 700VS Markings

1tfl

I picked up a used Remington 700VS in .223 this weekend for what I think is a good price. From the looks of it the rifle is typical 700VS model with the heavy 26" barrel, jewelled bolt and black/gray HS Precision stock. It is in very good to excellent condition and barrel is clean and sharp. The rifle didn't come with the box. When I got home and checked the rifle carefully I noticed that on the left side of the receiver is marked Remington Model 700 instead of 700VS as I had expected. Is this the normal marking for the 700VS model... are they marked 700 instead of 700VS? Oh, they had one in 308 for same price too but some guy took it home after I finished.

BTW. I paid $575 out the door for it.

Thanks.

Horseman

My 700 VS is not marked with a VS either. My 700 BDL doesn't say BDL either. So your VS in normally marked. The reason remington doesn't stamp models on the receivers is there are so many models that differ only in finish or stock choice. From a manufacturing point of view it wouldn't make sense for every 700 action to be model specific because of a stamping.

ops

I just bought a 700 VS a few minutes ago, new & unfired in the box. I had a 25-06 Sendero SF-I know it did not have SF stamped on it, and have a 700 Sendero 7 Mag. The box for the 7 Mag says "Sendero Special" on the label, but receiver says only "Remington Model 700" as does the receiver on my VSSF 22-250; no VSSF stamped on it. Also have a 700 VLS in 204 Ruger, no VLS stamped.