Remington 700LSS Mtn, 7mm08, advice please!

P-990

Okay, I am considering purchasing the above mentioned rifle as my new hunting companion for the coming fall. I am curious about the 7mm chambering, and what the pros and cons of it are. I DO handload, so availability of ammo is not a concern. Also, I am curious as to what everybody would suggest as a suitable scope for such a rig. (So you know, I am already looking at a low-power variable or a straight 4x.) Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
My 7mm08 is a walking-hunting gun in mule deer country. I figure it's a 200-yarder on mulies, generally. I just stuck a Weaver V3 on it, which helped keep the loaded weight to 6-1/4 pounds.

I've always been a believer in the Weaver K4, although there are lots of other 4Xs which will do just fine.

Since the rifle should be quite usable out to 300 or 400 yards, you might consider the Leupold Vari-X II in 2x8 (I think is the range. Or, 2x7?) I have one on a .243, and it works just fine for my deer hunting and for night time coyotes.

If you sit and hunt at first light or late evening, a larger objective lens is helpful.

All this rambling is because I don't know where you're hunting, or your usual conditions...

:), Art

Brian Williams

I have a Win Classic Compact in 7mm-08 and it is a great eastern whitetail deer rifle. I have a Leupold compact 3x9 - 33 on it that is great. I should have gotten the 2x7 - 33 instead. I like this caliber, it is really accurate and there are lots of bullet types, sizes and configurations. I load my own and have found that 150 gr sierra spbt can be pushed buy 40.2 gr of 4064. I have also found Remingtons premier load with 140 nosler ballistic tips are 1 moa out of the box

Peter M. Eick

I have a rem 700 BDL 7-08 that now has 3 deer to its name. The 7-08 with 120 to 140 grn bullets is very accurate, easy to shoot and dropped the deer on the spot with reasonable shots.

Mine has shown a preference for 100 and 120 grn seirra bullets with 4064 particularly at 200 yds. If it were not for my 25-06 sendero I would use it for varmitting.

The 7-08 is very efficient for reloaders. It can generate plenty of power without a lot of powder. Study a reloading book and compare the 7-08 and 7rem-mag for charge sizes and velocities. Yes the 7rem-mag is faster, but it sure takes a lot more powder to get there.

I use my 7-08 for Texas hill country hunting where ranges are moderate (under 200 yds), deer are reasonable sized and accurate hits are important. Several buddies use 7-08 for OK deer because it does the job over the fields.

On my rig, (a 700bdl stainless) I put a 4.5x14 leupold Vari-x III (AO) on Leupold rings. I found that to be plenty of power for longer shots and when I am walking/hunting I just crank it back to 4.5x. The only other addition was a reasonable sling for carrying the gun.

So far I have shot my 7-08 1075 times and I have replaced my 100 pieces of brass only once. I get about 8 reloads per piece of brass before I scrapped it out.

Good luck on the 7-08. I have never regretted mine.

P-990

My hunting conditions?? Well, I'll be honest and tell you that it would not be a stretch to say that a snub-revolver would leave powder burns on the hide. I currently use a 96/44 with a low power (1.5-4.5) variable. Last deer I even SAW was at twenty FEET!! Beyond that you can't ID to shoot. BTW I have re-evaluated my situation and decided that I really won't need a new rifle for a few years (I will be in the NAVY). But thanks for the input anyway, it really helps. I'll probably be looking to celebrate being a civilian again after my service is complete, and I think I know what I will do!