Remington 700

J270

I need a 308 win, I have two flawless 700s (270)(3006); been out of the loop, are these still a reputable rife.

big al hunter

From what I have seen and heard the fit and finish is lacking a little. Just don't order one. Hold it in your hands and check it out thoroughly. Remington is owned by a large conglomerate now and $ is the bottom line. Fit and finish take more time=more $.

DASHZNT

Yes, theyre awesome... the military still uses them for their sniper rifle. I have the Remington 700 SS R5 MilSpec .308 and that rifle is amazing!! Its priced right and does more than whats promised, I highly recommend it... Good Luck!

DASHZNT

TwentyToo

I've 700s in several calibers and styles. A couple were manufactured in the last 2-3 years. Yep, still good. Others I have for comparison are Ruger, Marlin and Savage. They're all good. If you're looking for accuracy at a reasonable price, see the 700 VLS and varmint (VS SF for example) models. The CDLs are lookers. The SPS stainless would be great value game guns.

jmr40

How much you wanna spend? Are you looking for a wood/blue rifle, or stainless/synthetic? Are you going to hunt or shoot paper?

In any case Winchester has something to offer and they are building a much better rifle than most anyone right now. They are priced about the same or often less than a comparable Remigton.

Ruger is my 2nd choice. They are not quite as refined as Winchester, but quality, dependable, accurate rifles for a bit less.

Another option is Kimber depending on what you want. They are more expensive, but offer the lightest, most accurate rifle you will own for the money. Around $1,100 will get you a 5 lb rifle that will shoot. Anything else in that weight and accuracy range will be over $3000.

I've owned and used more Remingtons than any other brand going back to the 70's. I won't say anything bad about them. But while they have been sitting on their hands, Winchester and others have progressed. Remington isn't a bad rifle, but you can do better today for less money. I wouldn't have said that 10 years ago.

cw308

I have a Rem 700 LTR 308 cal. I just love it. What are you going to use it for hunting or target shooting. I target shoot only, the ranges in my area max. is 200 yards, LI NY. 3/4" group 200 yards with the LTR, The weapon shoots better then me. When ever the stock barrel has to be replaced, I will have it blue printed and go on from there. can't go wronge with the 700P or LTR 308 cal. Good luck be Safe Chris

Remington74

Hold it in your hands and check it out thoroughly

I'll second this advice. Even though the majority of the 700 series will be just fine, I'd hate to open up the box and find out I just received the one in a thousand that had issues.

I have had several 700 series rifles and all have been just fine, but have yet to buy a "new manufacture" one...but that day is coming.

JimDandy

The military is actually switching over to 300 Win-Mag on their sniper rifles according to a show I was watching the other day...

Are you sure you want a .308? You already have that area pretty much covered with 30-06. If that's the area you like to hang, great, but if you're open to exploring think about going up or down... .223, 375 H&H, 45-70...

Joe Chicago

Big Green's quality has dropped since The Freedom Group (Cerberus) purchased them. I had to send two brand new Remington rifles back to the factory last year, including a Model Seven, which is the M700 action.

Look at used Remingtons from before they were bought by The Freedom Group.

Joe Chicago

If you do not mind a heavier rifle and like a two stage trigger, check out the Weatherby Vanguard S2. I have one in .308 and it shoots just over a half inch with Remington CoreLokt 180gr.

FALPhil

JoeChicago wrote:Big Green's quality has dropped since The Freedom Group (Cerberus) purchased them. I had to send two brand new Remington rifles back to the factory last year, including a Model Seven, which is the M700 action.
I am calling BS. Because you had to send two rifles back does not prove anything. Remington's quality is about the same as it was before Cerberus invested in them. If anything, it is better.

Furthermore, the Model Seven, is a derivative of the XP/XR-100 action which originally was based on the Model 600 action, which itself is a derivative of the M700. There are enough differences between the two actions that they can be called different models.

WWWJD

Not picking on you J270. I love my SPS .308. It's a 1/2 moa gun, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. When I tell my wife "I need"... Followed by a kind of gun... I get the look. :) it's rubbing off.

~Mark

J270

I married a pro gun mama, who is the only one that gives me hell about selling a gun once in the 90 s. I love the look of synthetic rifles so I am looking at sps, or varmint.
I want to put together a long range paper/coyote/shtf/something NATO.
I just want to be talked out of buying a savage.:p

thanx for your input people

Revoliver

If it doesn't HAVE to be Remington...

I suggest a Ruger Hawkeye Tactical in .308.

http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeTactical/models.html

I just got mine last week and will be taking it to the range this wekend for it's first outting. Fit and finish are superb, and it already comes with harris adjustable tilt bipod and flash hider (which I switched out for a Vortex) plus the ruger rings for scope mount.

The stock is the same hogue overmold stock that the SPS tactical uses, and contrary to reports online about Hogue's pillar bedded overmold stock, the second thing I did when I got home with mine was run a dollar bill under the barrel (after putting on the bipod) to see if the stock touches the barrel. It did not. I will be checking again this weekend after mounting my scope to see if that changes anything.

allaroundhunter

ebe8erym.jpg

a4atatyb.jpg

Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308.... Yea, she shoots.

Sent from my HTC One X

Buteo

Now is the time

I bought a Model 700 SPS Varmint in 223 two days ago at Cabela's. They also carry it in 308. Right now they are reduced to $549 and Remington has a $40 rebate until the end of the year. I have a 308 SPS Stainless that I love, otherwise I would have been tempted to get both. I broke down the new 700 last night to clean and oil everything in preparation for the range Friday morning and I was very pleased with the quality of the gun. The fit and finish were good, and even though I plan to replace the stock, I could live with that as well.