remington 700 sps

horatioo

I want a basic rifle to shoot targets at a couple of hundred yards and maybe to shoot deer. I want something that will keep its value as well as most other guns. I want something that is easy to take care of and reliable.

Does the bottom of the line remington sps meet my needs? I am thinking 30-06. I can buy one new for about $400. Would I be better off spending a couple of hundred dollars more and getting a more expensive 700?

Thanks for any advice.

zjeepgozweeln

I bought my 700 SPS Varmint .308 and I'm really happy with it. 308 rounds are cheap and easy to find in all different flavors, including military surplus 7.62 nato.

The varmint model also has a heavy "varmint" or "bull" barrel that won't heat up as fast when taking multiple shots (i.e. target shooting)

I paid $589 for mine, but i've seen it on gunbroker for around $500. Unfortunately some FFLs won't ship to us here in the PRK(peoples republik of kalifornia) because of our ridiculous transfer laws.

scoobydoo6906

get the sps varmint in .308 or 7mm-08. these are hands down the best value. they shoot sub moa and a few out of the box will shoot .5 moa, in short a budget tack driver.

BLS700

+1 on previous posts

I also have the SPS Varmint in .308. It's a very good shooter for the money. My handloads are pretty consistently .75 or better depending on conditions (meaning me usually). I went with that particular gun because it has the 700 action and the bull barrel. The stock is not good but I like the idea of upgrading as I have the money with the parts I prefer. The 700 offers ALOT of aftermarket upgrades. The question I asked myself when I bought mine was "can I shoot better than this rifle right now". Answer: No I could not. I'm getting better and now will start upgrading the rifle as I have money available. It's a good choice on gun and an excellent paper punching round in the .308. It will also serve your hunting needs. Just don't plan on dong a ton of walking with it because the barrel makes it kind of heavy and awkward in dense woods.

243rem700

Another fan of the SPS Varmint. I have one in .243 that shot well under MOA from the factory with factory ammo. The finish is a little rough, but the way it shoots more than makes up for it.

Fremmer

Just don't plan on dong a ton of walking with it because the barrel makes it kind of heavy and awkward in dense woods.

Which is why he should get the regular SPS. Stick with the regular gun for hunting. Even a normal barrel gets heavy enough at the end of a hard-hunting day, and a fattie varmint barrel will really make your shoulders ache. JMHO, but for deer hunting, you can save some weight (and probably a little bit of money) and just get the regular SPS. Remington's plain jane guns can really shoot well, too, and deer hunters shoot one (or two) shot groups. If you miss the first two, it won't matter how well the gun shoots three, four, or five shot groups, because that deer will be long gone.

Let us know what you decide!

Oh yeah, the '06 will work really well. Or the .308, or the .270. Any of those calibers will be great!

Swampghost

The Rem. 700 is one of the snipers top choices. I'm still dialing in my .243 but it's well inside of 2" @200 yds. Next trip to the range includes a free-floated barrel, new scope and new trigger assy. geared to 2+#'s.

scoobydoo6906

Quote:
Just don't plan on dong a ton of walking with it because the barrel makes it kind of heavy and awkward in dense woods.

a bolt gun would be a **** poor gun for heavy woods anyhow, a leaver action or a semi auto is the only choice in my book. the heavy barrel can get a bit heavy at the end of the day, but if you start conditioning yourself before the hunting season its not a big deal. its not like the rifle is a 12 pound rifle without a scope. also the weight may even be less of a factor depending on hunting styles.

popeyespappy

I've got a pair of 700 SPS rifles. Both in .308 Winchester. Ones a standard model the other is a tactical. The standard model is my deer rifle. It's mounted with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. It easily shoots into 2" at 100 yards with my hunting load of choice which is Federal's cheap Power-Shok 180 grain. The Tactical is mounted with a Super Sniper 20x42 and shoots inch to inch and a half groups at 200 yards using Black Hills 168 Grain Match HPs. I couldn't be happier with the 2 of them.

I had a 700 SPS Varmint in 233 but I traded it on a Savage 12 long range varminter to get the faster twist. I REALLY like the Savage but am sorry I got rid of the Remington..... Next time I'll know better and just keep em all.

BLS700

I agree that the bolt gun is not the way to go in heavy woods. The only reason mine was in that situation is because the critters weren't where they usually were that day. Weird situation and completely off topic. My question to the poster would be which will be the primary function. Is this a range gun that will spend a couple days in the woods? If so then you can deal with the weight of the barrel. In that case I think I'd want a barrel that didn't heat up at the range as fast since you'll likely be firing many shots and you won't want to sit around waiting for it to cool constantly.

barryhud

700 sps

I bought a Rem 700 sps in .204 last week in a pawn shop, looks like the cheapest Rem makes. It has a synthetic stock, matte finish and came with a Bushnell sportsman 4x12x40. It was to cheap to pass up, looking brand new. I shot it yesterday, could get some to group a 1'' at 100 meters. It has a trigger that feels like 20 lbs and the scope is is inadequate.
Where do I get information to do a trigger job, and what might I consider for a resonable priced scope,about $300. I would like to shoot 250-300 yards, varmit hunting and bench rest. I have a CZ 17 with weaver 36t that shoots great at 100-150, but don't have a clue as to what to put on this rifle.
Barry

csmsss

Why on earth is a bolt gun a poor choice for woods hunting?
It's not, but it might be overkill, particularly if you're hunting in truly dense woods where shots are rarely taken at much over 75 yards, and optics aren't needed. In that case, a lever action .30-30 is as much as you'd need, but wouldn't necessarily be "better" than a bolt gun, at least in my opinion.

j.chappell

If I am hunting in an area where there is no chance of a shot over say 60 yards I often carry my 94 in 30-30. But I still have to carry a good binocular to count points, so I might as well carry one of my model 7's with a good varialbe. They are just as handy as my 94, point as well or better, and are more accurate.

I like open sighted lever rifles but dont feel like I'm cheating if I go into the woods with a scope sighted bolt action.

J.

scoobydoo6906

hunting the woods is like the urban combat of hunting lol. carbines are way easier to swing and quicker handling in brush. I take a my Remington 700 and my Marlin 336 with me when ever I go on a hunt. that way I can choose the best weapon for the conditions.

davlandrum

I have one in 30-06 with the flat-finish stainless barrel.

I love mine. Goes "bang" every time, puts the bullet where it is supposed to, resists the wet nasty weather that we seem to have every hunting season. What's not to love?:D

I am an unapologetic 30-06 fan.

ive shot the .270 version a lot, its a great rifle. im thinking about getting the tactical but that wont be for a while and there will probably be a thread on her asking about it.

T

Texas Solo

You can save a few $$$ by looking at the 700ADL synthetic. Only difference between the SPS and the ADL is the magazine floor plate on the SPS.

BLS700

I don't think the bolt gun itself is a bad choice for heavy woods but speaking from experiences I've had they don't work out well. My SPS is long (26" barrel) and not easy to move. Also many people put too much glass on the top for that situation. Mine is WAY too much for what I was into. I agree that the 30-30 is the way to go in that situation. However, it would not be my choice at the range.

Tikirocker

a bolt gun would be a **** poor gun for heavy woods anyhow

That's not an absolute ... it depends on the bolt gun. The No5 Mk1 Jungle Carbine was designed for thick jungle warfare ... Burma to be exact; It was perfect for that theater of operations. It is short and it is light and has been used by hunters in my country in thick bush and scrub for over 50 years. What with the 10 round mag capacity and 1 up the spout as well as the super fast and smooth Enfield bolt action, I know what I'd rather have. I live in thick wooded mountains ... and use the No5 with regularity no problems at all - there are always exceptions to any rule.

Overall length = 3ft 3.5 inches
Barrel length = 20.5 inches
Weight = 3.2kg ( 7lb 1 oz )

Mine below ...

JungleCarbTiki14.jpg

As to the 700 ...

I am looking at either the 700SPS tactical or the varmint ... I prefer the stock on the Tactical but prefer the barrel on the Varmint - has anybody put the two together?

Last edited: