Remington 700 Security Lock

ZeroJunk

I have a new model 700 with the security lock on the bolt and I have decided I don't like it there.It's in a gun safe when not in use so I don't see the point.Is it something to cause a problem in the field or should I just forget it's there?

joshua

Does the lock affect the trigger quality any? I will probably end up getting a Rem700 when I get back. josh

garryc

Does the lock affect the trigger quality any? I will probably end up getting a Rem700 when I get back. josh

New 700's don't have them. There are some that were made before they stopped useing them still on stock as new. I bought a 700vl last month that has one. Easily replaced by one from Brownells. Some people say they slow down the lock time, I don't know if thats true or not.

ZeroJunk

garryc.If I buy the light weight bolt shroud,is it something a gunsmith needs to do?Catalog says drop in installation.

L Puckett

ZeroJunk,

As mentioned, Brownells sells a replacement shroud or a replacement shroud, pin and spring assembly. I suggest the assembly made by Gre-tan. It is very high quality and will reduce the "lock time" when fired. The shroud alone will not reduce lock time.

If you buy the assembly just take your bolt and the assembly to a gunsmith and I doubt whether they would charge to do the swap for you as it only takes 1 tool and 30-60 seconds. If you buy the shroud only they might charge you as the job takes 2 tools and 3 minutes.

LP

garryc

If you buy the assembly just take your bolt and the assembly to a gunsmith and I doubt whether they would charge to do the swap for you as it only takes 1 tool and 30-60 seconds.

Agreed, but just why would anyone have a rem rifle without the 15 dollar tool needed to take the firing pin assembly out for cleaning. He needs that anyway.

joshua

Quote:
If you buy the assembly just take your bolt and the assembly to a gunsmith and I doubt whether they would charge to do the swap for you as it only takes 1 tool and 30-60 seconds.

Agreed, but just why would anyone have a rem rifle without the 15 dollar tool needed to take the firing pin assembly out for cleaning. He needs that anyway.

I have a Rem 700 PSS and I don't have one of those $15 tool... Hmmm... What's the name of that thing-a-ma-jig again?

Meatco1

I have 7 Rem 700s, and have never bother buying the tool. Haven't found any need for it to disassemble, or assemble the bolt.

Come to think of it, I have had my fingers nicked a few times reinstalling the firing pin!

Richard

garryc

highresimage

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=492351

Ok. it's 26 bucks now, I bought mine in sniper school 10 years ago, inflation

Wvb

I work with a guy who's rifle stopped firing (realized as he was tracking wounded buck) because of crud inside his model 7 bolt. He didn't realize that was the problem until gunsmith cleaned it.

ZeroJunk

Remington's Reply

Remington emailed me back and said the ISS system was being phased out on all rifles that had it.Their reason stated that it worked properly but was not well received by customers.