Remington 700 question

Skans

I have a Remington 700 that was given to me. I don't know whether it is supposed to have a floor plate or a magazine. There are not latches for a magazine. If it is supposed to have a floor plate, it is missing as well as the spring, and possibly a latch, etc. I will try and take a photo of the bottom of the Remington to see if anyone knows what's supposed to go there.

jmr40

They made 3 versions, 4 depending on how you look at it. BDL and CDL (same rifle, different stock design) has a floor plate. The ADL is blind magazine with no opening on the bottom. You load and unload from the top. Much less common is DBM which is made for a detachable magazine. Is there a hole in the bottom of the stock?

Skans

I made a mistake, it's a Remington 788 not a 700, and it is supposed to have a magazine, which is missing.:eek:

I used to have a Remington 700 22-250. This rifle seemed very similar to my 700. Does anyone know the differences between the 700 and 788?

44 AMP

Staff
The only thing a 788 has in common with a 700 is both made by Remington, and all the 788 chamberings are also found in the 700.

The 788 action uses multiple, small locking lugs at the REAR of the bolt. The 700 uses a pair of large locking lugs (like a Mauser) at the FRONT of the bolt.

There are other differences but the main one is the actions are simply different. ALL 788s use a detachable box magazine. Detachable magazine 700s are very rare, most have a fixed magazine, either a blind box (no floorplate visible on the stock) or have a hinged magazine floorplate.

The 788 was designed as a budget rifle, the 700 is the "flagship" model.

788s have a reputation for being good shooters, but to me they are rather ugly looking.

Certain caliber 788 magazines are not easy to find, and can be rather expensive.

dgludwig

The 788 was designed as a budget rifle, the 700 is the "flagship" model.

This is true but, for whatever reason (scarcity?), a used Model 788 in these parts has increased in resale value more than a plain (not classic, target, varmint, etc.) Model 700 has.

I've never considered the Model 788 to be "ugly"; more utilitarian-looking, having a "Jeep-like" persona. The couple I've been acquainted with were quite accurate and had decent triggers for the time.

Skans

I didn't realize they were that different. It's been so long since I owned a 700 I couldn't recall the difference.

lefteye

I have a 788 .243 and a 700 .270. The 788 has nine locking lugs near the rear of the bolt. I free-floated the 788 barrel and glass bedded the action and under the chamber. I fluted the front of the comb, shortened the stock and installed a recoil pad. I also refinished the stock. The rifle is the best 788 I've ever seen, but I certainly have not seen many of them. It is extremely accurate! I put my 700 in a Brown Precision stock. It is extremely accurate and my favorite rifle. I have other rifles I really like, but if I could only have one it would be the .270.

GeauxTide

I have 2 788s in 223 and 308. Added Timney trigger and they are one hole shooters. As mentioned, mags are getting harder to find. Some are available at http://www.gunclips.net/remington.html I have 700s in 243, 308(VTR), 280, 7mmRM, and 338-06. I put them in Boyd's Prairie Hunter stocks and they shoot fantastic, the 280 and 308 at 1/2".