Remington 700 Question

BikerRN

Howdy all.

I'm interested in getting one of the Remington 700 VTR's, IIRC. That's the one with the muzzle brake on it. I was curious what effect this muzzle brake may have on a scope, being that it redirects the gases from the recoil.

I've heard, but have no evidence of such, that putting a muzzle brake on such a gun can break the scope. I'm inclined to think this might be Gunshop Coffee Table talk, from someone not in the know, but I am not sure. I was wondering if any members here had any information on such.

If it matters, I'm looking at the .308 as a moderate distance coyote and deer rifle, with a maximum range of 500 Yards. The .308 may be capable of more, but I'm not. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Biker

HelterSkelter

the barrett m82 has a muzzle brake on it, i'm pretty sure they wouldn't be using that as a sniper rifle if it breaking the scope was a concern. i have never heard of a muzzle brake breaking a scope. the gases dissipate fairly quickly in the air and are not directed back towards you or the scope but rather out and slightly back.

Scorch

The Remington 700 is a fine rifle, available in dozens of variations. If you are concerned about the muzzle brake on the 700 VTR, buy a different model.

BikerRN

Thanks all.
After I posted this question, in multiple forums, I realized that I had shot a bunch of rifles with Muzzle Brakes as a kid and breaking the scope was never an issue.
Please consider my post a moment of brain flatulence. It's been way too long since I've played with rifles, and while the back of my mind was telling me that this guy was full of bovine fecal matter, I wanted to double check.

Biker