Remington 700 question

scoutleader

Hello all,
I received my Remington 700 (30-06) back from my father. I bought the gun back in the late 80's or very early 90's. How do I tell if it is a LA or SA? I do not know much about the model, I only had the gun for about 2 years before he claimed it and I got my 7 mag. Also is there any upgrades that I can do to the gun, I am thinking of having it crowned to help bring in the groups. From what I remember it was a sweet shooting gun when I got it, will check it out this weekend.

FALPhil

I have one from the same era. If the barrel crown is not dinged or nicked, don't mess with it. What M700s really benefit from is free floating the barrel and pillar/skim bedding the action.

the swede

I believe long action and short action just refers to the cartridge the rifle is chambered for. So 30-06 would be long action as has been mentioned. .223 for example would be short action.

Scorch

I believe long action and short action just refers to the cartridge the rifle is chambered for.
No, actual dimensions are different between the long action and the short action on Rem 700s. They didn't just put in a magazine spacer or move the bolt stop. The action itself is actually longer in a long action, hence the name. And yes, 30-06 is a long action.