Remington 700 production date

ligonierbill

Yes, I know about the code on the left side of the barrel. And 'O' could be 1977 or 1994. It's a BDL 8 Mag, which was dropped from production ??. I know the custom shop continued with this round, but I do not think this is such a rifle. Can anyone enlighten me?

Scorch

You're right, that one is a puzzler. The 8mm Rem Mag was introduced in 1978, and the Remington 700 in 8mm Rem Mag was manufactured by the Custom Shop after about 1990. The checkering on the 1978 rifles was stamped, after the mid-1980s they had cut checkering. Custom shop rifles in 8mm Rem Mag typically had 26" barrels vs the factory 24" barrels, and they were marked as Custom Shop rifles.. Unless it has Custom Shop markings, I would call it a first year rifle.

jmr40

If the bolt won't open with the safety in the "SAFE" position it is pre-1982. If the bolt will open in the "SAFE" position it is post-82. Unless someone has replaced the trigger with aftermarket.

Even though the 8mm Mag was 1st sold in 78, it could have been made in 77.

ligonierbill

Remington had a recall to change the safety to allow the bolt to be opened with the safety on. The 7 Mag I got from my father underwent this mod. Took it in myself. That said, this one locks the bolt with the safety on. Must therefore be 1977. Thanks for the help friends