Remington 700 Police? P? PSS? LTR?

Drjones

Hi all.

I've found the bolt rifle I want: The Remington 700 Police.

Or, the PSS.

Or wait....the P.

No wait....it is the LTR.

Or.....the.....

There are so many different letters and models used to refer to what I think is the same rifle.

The rifle I want is a Remington 700 in .308 with a heavy floated barrel and heavy synthetic stock, I think made by H&S Precision.

I know it exists because I've seen two of them in person now and I am deeply, deeply in love. :)

1) Exactly what is the model number/name of the rifle I want?

2) What are the differences between the different models like; P, Police, PSS, LTR, etc?

Thanks!

Michael

"P" model was the Police, 1st generation if you will.
"PSS" is the Police Sharp Shooter, current genration, 2 inches more barrel otherwise unchanged.
"LTR" Light Tactical Rifle.
SLightly different stock, 20 inch barrel. Barrel is fluted I think.
You would be looking for the PSS in .308.

woodland

You might look at the 700VS or Varmint Synthetic. They are easier to find and are cheaper. The PSS can be hard to find as Rem sells it only for Police, so most dealers wont sell them to you. Some will do it. But the VS is the same rifle with a slightly different stock. Same barrel, same action. Only difference is the stock, and the PSS comes with a parkerised finish, which is not an option for the VS.
My father in law has the PSS, and I have a VS, and I actually prefer the stock on the VS over the PSS.
Hope this helps.