Remington 700 Mtn. Rifle, Anyone?

TaxPhd

Anybody have a Rem. 700 Mtn. Rifle LSS (laminate stock, stainless steel)?

I was thinking that one of these in .30-06 would be the perfect Elk gun. Virtually impervious to the weather. Light weight (6.5 lbs., without scope and mounts). Mount a Leupold 1.75x6 scope and it would be a joy to carry and shoot.

What do you think?

Jason280

I have a blued/wood Mountain Rifle in .280 with a Leupold 6x42, and it is one of my favorite guns. I've had it for about five years, and I have taken several deer with the gun. I think the Mountain Rifle is the finest hunting rifle available, especially in .270, .280, or .30-06. I don't care for the newer ones with the detachable magazine, as I think it takes away from the clean look of the stock. Buy one, you will definitely be impressed.

BTW, mine has no problem shooting MOA @100 yards!

Sundance

In my opinion..."joy to carry" and "joy to shoot" are rarely both used to describe the same rifle. It is usually just one or the other.

rugerfreak

I just put the exact rifle you described on lay-a-way last saturday. I have plans to put a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 on mine.

This will be a back-up gun to my Kimber .308----and my main gun if I'm going after something bigger than deer.

I was originally going to get the 700 Titanium but kept on asking myself if I wanted to spend $450 more for 1 pound less weight---my Kimber is only 5 lbs 10 oz--so I already have a lightweight rifle.

I also looked at a LSS Model 7---but the Mountain rifle just feels better in my hands---nice and trim---a bigger caliber---longer barrel and just a few ounces more than a Model 7.

I have a Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06---nice and trim also---but featherweight is kind of a misleading term for this rifle---it's a .30-06 too and there is this Kimber pistol I had my eyes on-----no sence having 2 .30-06's---lol. Just not sure if i want to trade it----it is a pretty nice rifle too.

TaxPhd

rugerfreak,

I looked at the Win. Featherweight, but it is over 7 lbs., IIRC. And I don't think that they do it in a laminate or synthetic. The Mountain Rifle sure does feel nice!

Sundance,

I agree - most of the time. A 6.5 lb. .338 Ultra mag would be a joy to carry, but . . ..

I'm a big guy, and not very recoil shy. A lightweight .30-06 is no problem.

Best price I have found is $585, on one of the auction sites. $15 delivery, $25 FFl transfer fee, and I am at $625. Anybody seen them for less?

Jason280

I also have one of the 700 Ti in 7mm/08, and the 1 1/2 lb difference was well worth the extra money. While I probably won't hunt with it as much as my .280 Mountain Rifle, it still will see its fair share of use. I haven't taken the 700 Ti to the range yet, but I will let everyone know how it does at 100 yards when I do. Oh, and to boot, the my 700 Ti came with a GREAT trigger on it, right around 3.5 lbs with no creep.

Shoney

TaxPhd:

I am not a big fan of light rifles. I feel that removing 10 lbs from my low backside will produce better results than taking weight from my rifle.

For a test of light versus heavy rifle. Have a number of people do this test:

At the end of a modest hike, run 25 feet up a 30 degree slope and fire 3 rounds at a target 100 yards away with a heavy rifle. Wait 15 minutes and run up the same slope and fire another 3 with a light rifle. I have seen this tested many, many times, with the same results. Heavy always wins under field conditions. The heavier to 13 lbs, the better IMNSHO.

The excitement and exhilaration of shooting at elk, even when your rested, makes your heart pound. I hunt deer and antelope with a 13 lb heavy barreled 6MMRem. I have hiked my hunk of iron over many a steep mountain on extended hikes and have no complaints. On numerous occasions on the prairie I have hustled and jogging over 2-5 miles to get into position for a shot at trophy buck antelope and deer with this heavy rifle and still will recommend heavy.

The feel of a light rifle is nice, I must agree, but overall the function does not compare to the shootabilty of a heavy rifle.

Regards, Shoney