Remington 700 Mag Trigger Guard Assemblies

WWWJD

Hey guys,
Now that I'm reloading, I've discovered my next problem. My accuracy loads don't fit the factory floor plate mag in the rifle. I haven't measured the factory box, but it must be something close to 2.8, cause 2.85 won't fit. :mad: There are four that I'm aware of, at various price points from $250 to $400. There's Badger, Wyatt's, Seekins, HS Precision...

Badger lists the max COAL at 2.89" (.308), which would suite me fine. Seekin's says 3.1", but I don't think they're talking .308. Wyatt's at 2.88", HS doesn't really say what the max is. Any experienced users rooting around in here? I'm leaning toward the HS; the mags look a little more friendly as far as sharp corners are concerned.

WWWJD

There's a thought; didn't know that you could get such a thing. Hmm.

Thanks, for something else to consider.

warbirdlover

Yup. That's why I always avoided detachable magazine rifles when I was reloading. The magazines are made for the standard length and not for guys wanting to get the bullet closer to the lands....

But there's a fix noted that I was never aware of...

cw308

Are you a benchrest shooter ? I also roll my own, in benchrest I only shoot one round at a time. Sorry I forgot I am shooting a bolt action.

WWWJD

Here lately I've been benchrest, now that I've got a club with a bench. But... I also use the same rifle to hunt with for now, so the idea of having a few down below for follow up shots sticks in the brain, even though I know the reality is I won't need them... just bugs me that I have a 1 round capacity.

I will say though.. that I've only worked with my first powder. I may find that a slower powder gets me back to a 2.8" or less cartridge length. Old roper's suggestion looks promising for sure too.. and costs significantly less than what I was thinking.

cw308

I to was trying differant OAL . Read an artical about why black hills shoots great in most rifles with a OAL that will fit in all rifles. Made sense I stick to 2.800 OAL found 41.5 - 42.00 grs. IMR 4064, weigh casings, fed match primers, 168 gr. HPBT Sierra bullets. Will get that one hole group I was looking for in my 700 LTR 308 Cal. 20" brl. Hope I helped Chris

WWWJD

Yea... I haven't tried a different powder yet; I've got a bottle of IMR4064 waiting in the wings. I've read that the slower powder will/should help. Ain't made it that far yet. Only reloads so far are with Varget :D

cw308

Varget my LTR didn't like. Varget & IMR 4064 are almost rated the same, but my group there was a big differance. IMR filled the case pretty good with medium load 41.5 - 42.00 . I just bench shoot want only that one hole group.Tried differant bullet weights, powders, primers & OAL's. Hope I saved you a few steps and $$$.Chris

WWWJD

At this point, I'm still getting into the swing of reloading... paying more attention to the method on my setup. I almost tried the IMR the other day, but I think just for the learning experience of it all, I carry on down the Varget path (at least until that 1st lb is gone). :)

cw308

With the same bolt action rifle fired formed casings I neck size. With auto feed full size. Single stage press- Redding Competition seating die- Dial caliper- Bullet comparator- Case trimmer- Flash hole deburring tool- Primer pocket uniformer, it's alot of equiptment to work with. Just take your time the object is to make every round exact. Bullets most of the time are not the exact size or weight, thats why I use the bullet comparator. I set one bullet (308) OAL 2.800 then attach the bullet comparator measuring the ogive. Experiment with different powders, primers & bullets, you will find the combo that your rifle will like. Most important read the load books & don't load to hot if your looking for a accurate round. Good luck have fun and be safe. Chris