Remington 700 LTR .308 question

Harry Callahan

I have been having an issue with this rifle. Recently while firing it the bolt seemed to be hanging up and would not eject the spent shells without considerable difficulty. For some reason I have to put alot of extra force on the upward movement of the bolt to cycle the action. I figured it must be a lubrication problem so I took the bolt out, cleaned and lubed it, and reinstalled it, thinking I probably corrected the problem. I took it to the range again last week and the first 4 shots seemed fine but then the problem came back. Am I not lubing something correctly?

hivel37

If you're using reloads, this could be caused by hot loads.

Otherwise, maybe try cleaning lug recesses and use a little grease on the lugs.

gearheadpyro

+1 on the reloads. Could be caused by hot loads or needing to be full length sized.

If your shooting factory ammo try a different brand, if it goes away then the pressure with the first brand was too high.

Picher

Check for pressure signs like flattened and/or cratered primers, shiny spot where the brass flowed slightly into ejector hole in the bolt face.

Measure the case length to be sure it's within specs.

Check the bore for heavy jacket fouling, not just traces of copper. A bore that's fouled will raise pressures dramatically.

If none of the above seem to be a problem, perhaps the rifle doesn't like the ammo you're using. Try another type of factory ammo.

If you're handloading, try seating bullets a bit deeper. Bullets that touch the lands can raise pressure when everything else is moderate.