Remington 700 in Walmart

Mike38

At one of the few Walmart stores near me that sells guns I saw a Remington 700 in .308 with a price tag of $298. From what I could see through the case it looked like a cheap plastic stock and plastic mag. Of course no one that works there could be found to take a look at it. Is this a mislabeled tag? Maybe it was a 710 or 770? Or, do Remington 700 rifles actually sell for $298? Thinking I should buy it, drop it in a good stock and maybe have something nice?

rc

When Walmart puts guns and ammo on clearance they don't care if they take a loss. Ruger 10/22s for $100. Winchester Model 70s for $180. 38 specials $5 a box.... I've seen some great deals. If you snooze, someone else will snap up the gun and you'll be left with nothing but a frown.

jmr40

If it had a plastic detachable magazine it wasn't a 700. Probably a 783 that was mis labeled.

There are some blind magazine 700 ADL's at decent prices at times at Walmart.

taylorce1

I can pick up $389 M700 ADL package rifles at my semi-local (25 miles to closest) Walmart in .223 and .243 youth models as well as .308, .270, .30-06 and 7mm RM. Lately there have been guys posting about sub $300 rifles at Walmart for the 700 ADL recently on other forums. Throw away the stock and scope then put in a decent stock like the B&C Mountain TI ADL stock, add a good 3-9X40 and you have a pretty decent 8lb hunting rifle.

mxsailor803

Taylor, that’s exactly what I’ve done. Kinda hard to justify buying just the action when I can buy a whole rifle cheaper.

Mike38

I stopped by this Walmart again today, yep, it was a 783 that was mislabeled as a 700. The price tag was corrected and even lowered to $231. They also had four 700 ADL, two in .308 and two in .270. Price on those, with a no-name scope was $331. I came real close to buying one in .308 but decided not today. At least this time there was a person behind the counter that could show me the rifles. It didn't take me long holding the 783 and I knew I wouldn't buy one. The 700 ADL on the other hand appeared and felt to be a decent rifle for the money. For a person that wanted to hunt deer or target shoot out to 200 yards or so, it would make a fine rifle as is. With a good scope on it, could reach out to 300 - 400 yards with ammo it likes. I may end up going back and buying one.

GeauxTide

Look at it this way. A Remington 700 Short Action is around $400. So, buy the rifle, get a Boyds stock, and replace the trigger with a Timney. Instant 1/2" shooter.

hseII

I stopped by this Walmart again today, yep, it was a 783 that was mislabeled as a 700. The price tag was corrected and even lowered to $231. They also had four 700 ADL, two in .308 and two in .270. Price on those, with a no-name scope was $331. I came real close to buying one in .308 but decided not today. At least this time there was a person behind the counter that could show me the rifles. It didn't take me long holding the 783 and I knew I wouldn't buy one. The 700 ADL on the other hand appeared and felt to be a decent rifle for the money. For a person that wanted to hunt deer or target shoot out to 200 yards or so, it would make a fine rifle as is. With a good scope on it, could reach out to 300 - 400 yards with ammo it likes. I may end up going back and buying one.

I can’t believe you left without the 700 in .308.

The bare action by itself retails for $400 from every supplier I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

godale

I wouldn’t buy a 783 right now . nobody knows big greens future . The 700 on the other hand will have parts for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

godale

Maybe it just me but I like the feel of the 783 over axis and ruger American , it when you do American predator and axis 2 that’s different to change my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndking1126

My Academy had a few 700s in 270 and 30-06 for sale at $350 without scope. I thought that was a good deal lol. I would have bought one if I hadn't already spent my fun funds. Too many projects right now, so probably better that I didn't.