Remington 700 in .223?

baddarryl

Hi all. I recently inherited my dads 700 in .30-06. I have been mulling the idea of a .223 and have settled on a Tikka 3, CZ or maybe Savage. I got thinking though it would be nice to have a .223 in the same platform as my deer rifle. If I were to look for one would I go older or newer and are they as good as the ones I have mentioned accuracy wise? I would look in 1:8 twist or similar for targeting at 400 yards plus. I know there are a plethora of answers, but am curios of what those think that have them. I am not looking for a precision rifle, but certainly one that would be as accurate as a Tikka or CZ. Thank you.

jonnyc

"I am not looking for a precision rifle, but certainly one that would be as accurate as a Tikka or CZ."

Actually, you are looking for a serious precision rifle if you want something as accurate as a Tikka T3.
A friend of mine has a Rem. 700 in .223, with a really short, fat barrel. I hope he gets sick of it before I have to hunt for a new one!

baddarryl

"I am not looking for a precision rifle, but certainly one that would be as accurate as a Tikka or CZ."

Actually, you are looking for a serious precision rifle if you want something as accurate as a Tikka T3.
A friend of mine has a Rem. 700 in .223, with a really short, fat barrel. I hope he gets sick of it before I have to hunt for a new one!

I guess what I mean is one that is sub MOA without me having to tweak it.

Reloadron

I originally bought a Remington 700 VSSF in 223 which I built into a 6mm PPC. I used the original barrel on a Remington 725 action and built this rifle:

725%205.png

The downside of the old Remington 700 rifles chambered in .223 Remington was they had a 1:12 twist. While the pictured rifle is a tack driver with an added Timney trigger and gives me 0.5 MOA the heaviest bullets I can shoot with accuracy are 55 grain. The slow twist simply will not stabilize heavier bullets.

Barrel twist rate might be something you want to consider. My next bolt gun in .223 Remington I want to stabilize 75 and 80 grain bullets.

Ron

TMD

Barrel twist rate might be something you want to consider. My next bolt gun in .223 Remington I want to stabilize 75 and 80 grain bullets.

That may be a challenge considering the fastest twist rate Remington offers is 1/9.

Reloadron

That may be a challenge considering the fastest twist rate Remington offers is 1/9.

Yeah, thought about that. Would like to find another Remington 700 action and buy a barrel if I can find a good high end barrel with a fast twist like 1:7 OR 1:8. I still have all my tools for working on Remington actions. May make for a winter project. Anyway, I don't want to derail another's thread.

Ron

baddarryl

Quote:
Yeah, thought about that. Would like to find another Remington 700 action and buy a barrel if I can find a good high end barrel with a fast twist like 1:7 OR 1:8. I still have all my tools for working on Remington actions. May make for a winter project. Anyway, I don't want to derail another's thread.

Ron

You are not hijacking anything. That is great information and a great thought. I don't have the capability, but a good idea anyway. I too want to shoot the heavier bullets in that range.

Reloadron

You are not hijacking anything. That is great information and a great thought. I don't have the capability, but a good idea anyway. I too want to shoot the heavier bullets in that range.

Thank you. When we want to send the heavier .224 diameter bullets down range we need the fast barrel twist. Barrel makers do offer the faster twist, like McMillan for example.They also offer the heavy contours that many target shooters want. If someone has a good competent smith a top of the line rifle can be built. Starting with a Remington 700 Action. The cost will be a result of how much machining and time is involved for a smith.

Ron

MarkCO

Ruger American...1:8 twist, more accurate than the Remingtons, better QC too.

I like the Tikka T3s, but the RA is very impressive.

Reloadron

Ruger American...1:8 twist, more accurate than the Remingtons, better QC too.

I like the Tikka T3s, but the RA is very impressive.

Let me guess, you own a Ruger American? Remington quality did go down but I mentioned the older Remington guns like the older Remington 700 BDL VSSF which hands down out of the box exceeds my Ruger 77. I also mentioned "building" on the Remington actions simply because I have all the tooling.

Ron

kraigwy

I'm a Winchester guy but I have a few Remingtons.

I like your idea of having a 223 to match your '06 700.

If you're 06 is an older Remington, I think Id go for the older 700 in 223.

Not a great picture but here is a 1975 Model.

P1010005.JPG

Picture%20003.jpg

I got this rifle to carry as a Country-Sniper rifle for my PD after attending the USAMU Sniper School in 78. To get into this school I had to show intent and proof that I would use my training at home in starting a sniper program, which I did, both for my Dept and the AK NG.

The AMU put out a guide for selecting a LE Sniper rifle, recommending, at the top of their list, a Remington 700 Varmint, in 223 with a 6-8 Power fixed scope.

So I chose the 700 BDL Varmint in 223, it was perfect for its use. (Now its retired for a prairie dog gun. Still shots great after thousands of rounds, mostly M193 55 gr Ball.

If you're '06 is a BDL, one like this would be a perfect companion piece.

MarkCO

Let me guess, you own a Ruger American? Remington quality did go down but I mentioned the older Remington guns like the older Remington 700 BDL VSSF which hands down out of the box exceeds my Ruger 77. I also mentioned "building" on the Remington actions simply because I have all the tooling.

Actually, I do not. I tested 7 different .223 bolt actions for durability and accuracy for The American Marksman competition. I choose the Ruger American because it was the best out of the box .223 bolt gun that was under $750. I own a RPR, but as yet, no Americans. I am likely going to order a Ruger American Predator in .243 soon though.

I have more 700s than any other bolt guns. Mine are older, and I like them a lot, but I still don't think Big Green can match up with what Ruger, Savage, Tikka and CZ are putting out in the mass market group.

Reloadron

Fair enough, you tested them. I just think Ruger could have done better with the stock, then too, anymore a good stock is an option anymore. :)

Ron

MarkCO

I just think Ruger could have done better with the stock, then too, anymore a good stock is an option anymore.

Agreed. I have often wondered why no-one has copied Howa in selling barreled actions that you can drop into your choice of aftermarket stocks.

In gunsmith shops around the county, are trashcans full of flimsy factory stocks. I used to save them, now I just give them away.

Reloadron

I saw Howa as having the right idea. Over the years I have seen so many great guns fall out of production. The cited reason is frequently cost to manufacture. One such gun that comes to mind was the little handy Ruger 44 Carbine. One sweet little handy rifle in a nice chunk of American Walnut. When manufacturing cost start being cut it seems the stock suffers. Once milled steel parts become stamped steel and move to a composite or plastic.

Anyway, this thread motivated me. I have an old Remington 700 action I built as a 6 PPC. Things got a little ugly and a broken bolt later the rifle has sat 20 years. Time for a new bolt and maybe a .223 which ironically the action began as. :)

Ron

baddarryl

If you're 06 is an older Remington, I think Id go for the older 700 in 223.

Yes, mine is a 1981 BDL. Question, if the older 700's are 1:12 twist what is their effective range for target work? There is no way I could afford to get a high end barrel put on one at this stage in my life. Any idea what that would cost? That may be the deciding factor.

RC20

I find it hard to believe that an RA is rated better than a Savage.

While it is a Cabella only model, their 12FV comes with acu trigger, jeweled bolt, 26 inch barrel that is one step short of a bull. $418 regular and $50 off form Cabella and various Savage re-bates of $50 and $100 during the year.

Ok stock.

I have handled the RA, plenty good enough for what is is, ie. light weight hunting rifle at a decent price, but it sure is not a 12FV.