Remington 700 bolt handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

deercop

I bought a new Remington 700 Stainless Milspec 5R last week. I ordered a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T scope, mount, and rings, supposed to be here today. I have not fired a single round through this brand new gun.

Yesterday, I was dry cycling the bolt, and this happened.

The dealer I bought the rifle from, has another identical one in stock, but (as expected) won't swap with me. Remington says repairs this time of year are running 6-10 weeks.

How PO'd would you be?

DSCF0001-3.jpg

DSCF0002-3.jpg

kenjs1

Very. I heard about this -the soldered Remington handles from Winchester proponents as one of the reasons for preferring the Model 70. I have beat tar out of mine w/o incident and there really is no excuse for A)this happeneing and B) Remington not just sending you a replacement immediately. Sorry it happened to you. That is a rifle I would love to get a chance to check out and shoot. Has remington lost a repeat customer over this?

deercop

I doubt I'll ever buy another Remington rifle, and I doubt even more I'll buy another gun from the shop I bought this one at, after they basically told me I was on my own. But oh, they'll be glad to let UPS pick it up there, of course if there is a shipping charge I'll have to pay it. :mad:

I have always been a super fan of Remington and own several pre 90's and have nothing bad to say about THEM

But in the last week I have seen.......
broken plastic on a 710 bolt
broken floor plate latch on a 710
and this bolt

I've got serious doubts about purchasing any more Remingtons

sadsack

Deercop: That's the first time I've ever seen a new bolt handle come off. Looking at the picture its obvious that the silver braze didn't bond. Someone at Remington dropped the ball on this one(they do them in batches so hopfully it wasn't a hole rack of them). There is no doubt that Remington will make it right, but its easy to understand your being upset.
I've had a couple brought to the shop that had been badly abused, both were locked up and had been hammered on. One because of a blown reload, and the other had been spray painted so well that it locked the action up.
Personally, I would be more upset with the dealer, he should have made the exchange for you.

Scorch

deercop-
Unfortunately, Remington rifles have had this problem since the 1950s, even though it is uncommon. Since the rear braze joint failed, the braze joint at the front of the bolt is also likely suspect, IMHO. Remington cannot just send you a new bolt because it needs to be fitted. Get the gun to the approved Remington service site for your area, which is

Paducah Shooters
3919 Cairo Road
Paducah, KY 42001
(877) 772-3006

You should not try to fix the issue yourself, Remington will likely repair it under warranty. The store you bought it from should be able to ship it for you, but it sounds like they are weaseling. Good customer support would seem to dictate that you help out your customers when they have a problem. Call the service site and ask them how to handle this, they may even send a call tag for the rifle. Who knows?

Last edited:

johnbt

I thought it was fairly common, or maybe I should say it was not an unusual thing to see happen. I recalled the following discussion from a few years back. The subject was soldering bolt handles.

www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30682

"IF you swing the bolt handle a few thousand times on Remington 722,721,700,SEVEN,600,660 the bolt handles will eventually come off. GAME OVER!!!!

I'm not talking about the weekend deer hunter,I'm talking about the weekly/bi-weekly competitor shooting BR,OTC,Palma,LR,F-Class.

With my TIG welded handles there is not any CLEAN-UP required.
Handle location is with-in .010""

Lavid2002

Like its that big of a deal for a bolt handle to come off after tens of thousands of rounds. Youll have replaced several barrels by then. This guy in particular...that sucks!

Remington should send you a whole new bolt assy. and you can mail the broken one back so ur not out a rifle ten weeks.

Edit: And CHRIST am I happy I bought a savage XD!

sadsack

Johnbt: I like your idea of tigging the Remington bolt handles. I've tigged quite a few Mausers, but not a Remington. I've got one in the shop to do so I'm going to give it a try. I've only replaced about six Remington handles, but I've not had a bad bond on any of them, and none have come off.
Are there any out of the ordinary pitfalls that I need to watch for with tigging?

Antihero47

I Feel your Pain. Deeply.

I purchased a new Remington 700 SPS Tactical. Bought a scope, rings, bases and installed them all level. Went to the Range with my brother and paid $19 for a bench and target stand. Waited 20 minutes for the cease fire and set up our targets.

Bore sighted the scope, and was ready to put some lead down range. I chambered a round fine, pulled the trigger and 'click!'. Opened the bolt and inspected the primer for a dent, NO DENT. I then enter another 20 rounds from different boxes of ammo. NO DENTS.

I call Turners (The Shop) and inform them that the rounds are not being fired, the firing pin is not contacting the primers. They tell me to take it to the shop and stuck a rod down the barrel and dry fire. It sends the rod up a few inches and they say that its fine.

I inform them that its not fine, it diddnt fire, so they tried to tell me to drive to the Remington repair shop and wait 3 hours coming home in traffic. They sure as hell did not want to give me another one.

So.. it too is on its way to the repair shop. And it discourages me that the wait may be that long. I need to call them and see where they sent it and how long that place is going to take.

Swampghost

That really sucks and I'm a Rem fan. Crap DOES happen on a production line and silver soldering SS has always been a questionable practice. I'm certain that they use a furnace or inductive system and somebody goofed on the prep.

Welding opens another can of worms primarily in distortion and post treatment. If you want all of the qualities of SS after welding the welds will need to be passivated.

j.chappell

Wow,

I'd be ticked if it were a cheap model anything let alone a 5R. Like others I have heard of this before, I have never had it happen to the handful of Remingtons I own and I dont know anyone that it has happened to but I feel for you.

Good luck with repairs and turn-around.

J.

deercop

I decided to return it to Remington for warranty repair, and shipped it out yesterday. Now to settle in for the wait.

The 700's new friends are eagerly awaiting it's return.

DSCF0002-2.jpg

dcobler

Bad news and sorry to hear it. I havent had a problem from my 700 and I just love it to death. Haven't quite put 1,000 rounds through it yet. Glad to hear that Remington is taking care of you though. Says a lot about someone who stands behind their product, or else they should stand in front of it!

Dirty Bill

Ok,I have to ask,how does Savage make their bolt handles? I ask because I am either going to buy a remington or savage bolt action .308..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.