Remington 700 ADL question???

PATH

After much soul searching I bought the Remington 700 ADL in .30-06 for hunting. No bells or whistles. Is this the all around gun for hunting white tail. I sure hope I made the right decision.

echo3mike

I don't know about the white-tail hunting, but...

I took my latest purchase, an ADL in 30.06 and Burris sportveiw 4X scope (used), out to the range last Sunday for it's intitial "Glad to meetya' " session.

Four 10 shot series of Federal Gold Match rounds gave me some strings that ranged from a 0.5 MOA group to a 1.5MOA group. I'ld shoot four rounds at a time, and then check the results. Cleaned after the first 20 rounds.

I changed the scope this week with a Redfield 3-9X. Plan to see if I can do a little better this weekend.

If yours is anything like mine, it should fit the bill quite nicely. Get yourself some rounds that you'll be using and head to the range for a while. I think you'll be satisfied.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Well, the old '06 will kill most anything edible in North America...

Probably the worst a 700 ADL will do for group size is maybe 1-1/2 inches at 100 yards; most deer are killed inside of 200 yards...

A Weaver K4 or equivalent scope will do you just fine; if you go to a variable, don't bother with any higher quality or magnification than a Leupold Vari-X II in 3X9. If your budget is tight, the cheaper scopes in a FIXED power are a bit more reliable. I've used the Weaver-style mounts and bases for some 50 years...

Don't bother with exotic-bullet ammo. Sight in for 2" high at 100 yards with a 150-grain bullet; that's dead on at 200 yards and about 6" low at 300. If you can see enough horns on that deer that your pulse increases, just point it and pull; Hell ain't half-full.

Art

Nimrod

The .30-06 round is one of my (any millions of others) all time favorites. The Model 700 had a good reputation and you will have a good rig with the right scope. Just don't get talked into the "heavier bullets kill better" theory. Whitetail deer are thin skinned animals and not very hard to kill. I have used the .30-06 on many, many of them; a significant number actually, and like 150 or 165 grains for whitetail.

44rugerfan

I have my grandfather's Remington 700 in 30-06. He used it for everything that walked on four legs in the backcountry of Wyoming. I have no idea how old it is, but it still holds 2" at 100 yards, and will probably get better once I start reloading for it. It still has about 95% blueing, with a ring worn down around the muzzle where it has been laid against countless walls and trees. Have no fear. I am sure that this gun will still be shooting long after you and I are gone.

I also own a Remington 700 ADL in .30-06. Mine is not what I would consider an accurate rifle. However, it is perfectly adequate for big game hunting. Two years ago I made a real nice shot on a running elk. The '06 was more than up to the task. I have a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50mm scope on it. I have learned about cheap optics the hard way and consider this the minimum scope I would buy, if I had a choice. That being said, I shot the elk using this rifle and a Tasco 3-9. It was replaced as soon as I had the money. You made a good choice. Shoot it a lot and enjoy.