Remington 700 action types?

Mike38

I have a Remington 700 AWR (Alaskan Wilderness Rifle) chambered in 7mmSTW, (a belted magnum) and made in the Remington custom shop. It has a blind three round magazine (no hinged floor plate). Would this rifle be considered an ADL Long Action? Is there such a thing as a Magnum Action, or just short and long?

The reason I ask is because I am considering a different stock. Something more along the line of a target / sniper style stock. I have e-mailed a couple different stock manufacturers and did not get a reply. I take it they don’t know. Sure would be nice if they would reply, even with an “I don’t know”. Customer service is a thing of the past anymore.

Thanks.

Mike38

Oh, and one more question. The barrel on this rifle is “pillar bedded” or I guess that’s what you would call it. It’s free except for two little nubs in the barrel channel about one inch from the end of the forearm. The nubs are located at 5 and 7 o’clock. If this rifle was mounted in a free float stock, would it mess up the accuracy?

I’d hate to mess with the accuracy, because I’m getting it close to half a minute now, and don’t want to start over with the reload recipes.

Jimro

Pillar bedding is what you do to the action screws, not the barrel.

You have a Rem 700 long action.

Changing stocks always has the potential to affect accuracy.

If you buy the BDL bottom metal you can use stocks for the BDL. Or you can get a magazine system like AIs.

Jimro

jmr40

For an aftermarket stock your rifle is considered ADL. In fact the ADL, BDL terms have been adopted by most aftermarket stock makers as short for blind magazine or floorplate on any gun. Not just Remington.

When placing the order be sure to specify the caliber as well. I'm pretty sure it is just a regular long action as far as a stock maker is concerned, but with magnum chamberings the stocks are often built to different specs for strength. Some stocks are not suggested for use in magnum chamberings above a certain chambering as well.