Remington 700 .308 with AICS. Load Test Data! Pics!!

Here are the details:
Remington 700 SPS-V .308 Win
26" bbl 1:12" RH twist
X-Mark trigger set at 2.25lbs.
Accuracy International Chassis System Stock (AICS)
Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm with NP-R1 Reticle
Leupold 20 MOA Picatinny scope mount
Nightforce Ultralight scope rings
Harris Bipod

Handload Data:
168gr Sierra Matchking
43.5grs IMR4895 powder
Hornady Match Brass
CCI BR primers
2.800" OAL
Muzzle velocity is probably 2600-2700fps but it has been too cold to bring the chrono out

I tried the 168g SMK with 5 different charges of IMR4895: 43.0, 43.5, 44.0, 44.5, 45.0. The 100yd picture will show the results of these loads. It loved the 43.5 and the 45.0.

I also tried the Lapua 155g Scenar with 5 different charges: 41.0, 41.5,42.0, 42.5, 43.0. I don't have a picture of these because they were all over an inch. I want to try this bullet again because I was almost frozen stiff by the time I got to shooting these, and I am sure that effected my group sizes.

As you can see in the pictures, the heavier charges of powder with the 168 SMK bullet's didn't agree too well with my rifle, except for the 45.0g loads, they were near 1/2 MOA.

I am now going to try different seating depths with the 168g SMK's with 43.5grs of IMR4895.
We also got some Hornady 168g HPBT Match bullets and some 155g SMK's in at the shop so I am going to try those out as well.

I'll report back after this weekend with the results.

Handload Results,
- Average 100yd. 5 shots: .656"
- Best 100yd 5 shots: .580"
- 500yd. 5 shot: 4.646"
- 500yd. 3 shot: 3.092"
Hornady Factory Match (168gr AMAX),
- 100yds. 9 shots in a row at .604" with the 10th. shot being a stupid flyer, it came to a 1.01" 10 shot group.
- 100yds. 4 shots: .733"

All groups were measured with a caliper, and none of the pictures have been altered other than some minor photoshopping to make them look better. I'll load the other pics in another post to this thread as I have a few more of them.

Attachments

• 308 100yds handloads.jpg
    308 100yds handloads.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 425
  • The 308 Rifle.jpg
    The 308 Rifle.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 449
  • 500yds 5shot.jpg
    500yds 5shot.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Here are more pictures.

AICS.jpg- Picture of the Rifle

308 500yds.jpg- shows the 3 shot group at 500yds.

HornadyMatch.jpg- shows groups with their factory match ammo

Attachments

• 308 500yds.jpg
    308 500yds.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 271
  • HornadyMatch.jpg
    HornadyMatch.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 188
  • AICS .jpg
    AICS .jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
The first picture is of my NP-R1 reticle. It is an actual picture through my scope looking at a white wall.

I'm sorry but I accidentally put NP-R2 on the picture itself, WHOOPS.

The last picture is a normal picture of the rifle sitting in the shop where I work part-time in between school

Attachments

• Reticle.jpg
    Reticle.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 244
  • RIFLE.jpg
    RIFLE.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

PDXGS

Nice, thanks.
I'm going to be on the range this Saturday with my Rem 700P/AICS w/Horus Vision Falcon and some handloads:
SMK 168grain
IMR 8208 XBR
CCI BR primers
Lapua Brass
COAL of 2.850- the Remington throats are deep so push the COAL out a bit from 2.8

I'll report back with my 100yd findings

PDX- I am going to be pushing the COAL out...with the AICS magazines, there is a lot of room between the tip of the cartridge and the wall of the magazine. I am anxious to see what results I will get with some different seating depths

PDXGS

Yep,
Here's my rig:
783263960_6dyZH-XL-1.jpg

N00b_Shooter

Just a heads up, on your reticle photo you put NP-R2 reticle at the top, The NP-R2 reticle is 2 MOA vertical hashes and 5 MOA horizontal.

Nice rifle by the way :p

N00b_Shooter

Yes it does, but the measurement is taken at what ever the ranging magnification is. For his scope it is at 22x magnification and mine is at 32x magnification. The exception is if you get a scope with a Front Focal Plane, then you can range at any magnification.

ATTENTION:

I previously posted the explanation as to why I wrote "NP-R2" for my reticle type when I actually have the "NP-R1" reticle. I don't know why but for some reason I had convinced myself that I had the R2, it was a dumb mistake and I clearly know better, but I guess that it just stuck because I wrote NP-R2 on EVERYTHING haha. My bad.

Soooo, how about we go back to discussion on .308 loads and what you guys are using and what results you are getting.

WHO ELSE has the AICS stock system? Keep this thread going!!

N00b_Shooter

Sorry I got distracted in my first post, I was going to say that i use a Rem 700 in .308 and i use 168gr SMK's with Federal brass and Primers and 44gr of ADI AR2208.

Best group to date was a .119" at 100 meters (only a 3 shot group though)

Best 5 shot is now a .485" but it was shot at 200 meters.

That being said i use a 1:12 barrel and was told in another post not long ago that i should move to the 175gr SMK's because i am planning on shooting some 800 - 1000 meter targets eventually and they would work better. So i am going to have to start experimenting with some new loads myself soon.

I had heard some rumors about a lot of long rang shooters (800-1000yd) switching to the 155gr SMK's because the 168's become slightly more unstable at those distances. Any truth to that?

I am planning on trying the 175gr SMKs myself. Though I am looking forward to getting my hands on some Lapua 170gr Naturalis long range or lock base bullets. I am wondering how good they are.

My current handload is only the first good load that I have worked up for my rifle, so I have a TON of experimenting left to do. Plus, it's winter now and that load may not perform so well when spring starts to come around. And who knows how well it will be when summer shooting season is here!

PDXGS- I am really interested in those Phoenix Tactical bipod upgrades. Before I order something, do those claws move at all? Are they fastened at a fixed angle according to the bipod legs? Are the claws fastened tightly with a nut and bolt which prevents the claws from swinging freely?

PDXGS-

I just watched the videos and I ended up ordering one set of black adaptors and the rubber Mout footings. I shoot mostly off of benches right now because it's freezing cold out, I think I'll order the claws once the weather gets nicer and I can go prone out at the range. Thanks for letting me know about that company, they have good stuff that's really hard to find for the AICS system.

DO YOU KNOW OF ANY OTHER COMPANY THAT MAKES AICS ACCESSORIES? It'd be appreciated if you could tell me of a few!

PDXGS

Dedicated- what types of accessories are you looking for?
I've had good luck with products from Triad Tactical.
Accuracy International is becomming more and more popular in the US among civilian shooters and they're responding to the changing market by introducing the AICS for Savage rifles and a left hand version for the Rem 700 system should be available this year.
The only other accessory I've added is a TIS Quick Cuff sling.
I'm considering moving the tripod to the AICS spigot on the front but the prices for these are pretty high. The Phoenix AICS adapter/rail is one option I'm consideringbut I've heard that these mounts flop more than I care for and you cant tighten them as easily as a pod-lock.

PDXGS-

Im really not looking for anything in particular, but I tend to catch the aftermarket "bug" after purchasing any new firearm. I was just wondering who makes AICS gear, I don't know what I'll be needing in the future haha.

You are right though, the AICS is becoming much more popular. A lot of people are realizing that you can get a Remington 700 SPS-V or SPS Tactical for less than $650, pull the synthetic stock off, strap on an AICS system, and shoot 1/2 MOA groups. All for a lot less money than going to a custom .308 or some of the high-end rifles out there.

kimberclassic

I haven't shot long range in five years, but I was using 175 SMK, 43.2 gr Varget, out of a Savage 12BVSS. Largest group was .65 @ 100yds from the factory stock rifle. I used that load for shooting 600yd and 1000yd F-Class down in Louisiana and Mississippi.

I always thought AICS looked pretty neat, but I rather like my BVSS.