Remington 700 .22-250 BDL

TheNatureBoy

Just traded my Savage model 12 .22-250 straight up for a Remington 700 .22-250 BDL (very good condition), 24 inch tube, Monte Carlo stock. Anyone own one? Appreciate your input :)

geetarman

Yep. . .I feel your pain LOL!!

I bought an early one back in the 70's with the ugly polyurethane stock finish.

First 3 shots out of the barrel were .75 inch center to center at 200 yards. That rifle just loved the 52 gr Sierra HPBT and I shot a lot of them. I bought the rifle in about 1972-73 or so and finally had to get a new barrel about 5 years ago.. Put a stainless steel Douglas ( I think ) . That barrel was only good for about 1000 rounds. Had a gunsmith rebarrel the rifle again with a factory 22-250 barrel that came off a factory gun the owner wanted to make into something else. Anyway that barrel is on the same rifle but it is now in a fiberglas stock and pillar bedded. I have not shot it in a while and while I was waiting for that rifle to be completed, I bought another Rem 700 SPS in 22-250. That gun has only been shot 35 times. Love those Remingtons!! Also have a 700P 308 and a Ruger 77V 22-250 ( got that one in 1976).

Once you find out what load your gun likes, it will make a believer out of you. Some nay sayers on the board don't like Remington but mine have all shot pretty darn good. Hope yours does too..

You will probably find your best accuracy around 3400-3500 fps. You do not need to set the brush on fire 10 yards from the bench to get accurate performance and enough horsepower to turn the lights out on groundhogs.

BumbleBug

TheNatureBoy said:
Just traded my Savage model 12 .22-250 straight up for a Remington 700 .22-250 BDL (very good condition), 24 inch tube, Monte Carlo stock. Anyone own one? Appreciate your input :)
This should stir-up some controversy...LOL Many will say you traded down instead of up in this deal.

In my opinion, excellent trade! Hard to ever beat a Rem 700 BDL especially against a plastic Savage!!!

...bug :)

TheNatureBoy

Thanks for the responses. The Savage was a shooter but as I took inventory of my rifles its obvious that I prefer Remingtons. Its a beautiful rifle....well taken care of. I love the action and the trigger.

BigPoppa

Bought a Rem 700 BDL back in the early eighties to hunt deer. The 140grain projectiles would drop them in their tracks anywhere from 0 to 400 yards. It was and still is a gorgeous piece. I do not deer hunt anymore and it stays in storage and gets a wipe down every now and again.

Bultaco

Congratulations on a great trade. Savages may be all the rage now but a BDL Rem. 700 can satisfy both the accuracy and beauty itch. I have owned a bunch of them and never had an unsatisfactory one.

Mobuck

I have 2 in sporter weight barrels. My standard coyote hunting rifle for 20 years. I've made several 1/4 mile first round hits and killed a truck load of yoties with mine. The one I bought new in 78 or 79 is slightly more accurate than one I bought used in the mid-80s but barely enough to notice.
I used to bet with any takers we'd tack up two $20 bills side by side @ 440 yards and if I hit either I got both. Word got out that it was an easy way to LOSE $20 and then no one would bet.

Picher

I presently have:

Rem 700 SS Fluted Light Varmint in .223 Rem
" 700 ADL - .243 Win - Pac-Nor SS BBL
" 700 BDL - .270 Win. SS - with Stocky's Deluxe Stock and Sendero Stock
" 700 CDL - .270 Win. SS Fluted

Have had other 700s: .22-250 ADL, 6mm Rem HB Varmint, and BDL 30-06 (now son's rifle).

JP

joed

Nothing wrong with either rifle though I prefer Remington. I still own 3, a .25-06 VS from the late 70's, a 700 Classic in .300 H&H and a 700 VS SPS Stainless from 2011 in .22-250. All are capable of better than I can shoot anymore.

I've found the older Remingtons with wooden stocks generally need some stock work. The SPS had a horrible trigger and stock, once both were replaced it became very accurate.