Remington 600 ?s

JasoninSD

The last two months have been very good to me and I was able to find two Remington 600s, one in .243 and one in .350. I seem to remember hearing about a recall on these rifles regarding the safety. Is there an easy way to tell if these particular rifles have been recalled and worked on? One difference I note between them is that one safety will lock the bolt and the other will not. I am not sure if this is an indicator of the recall or not.

Thanks,

Jason

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Put the safety on. Pull on the trigger. Then release the safety. If nothing goes "Click!", it's okay.

I once had a 600 in .308, but that was long ago and I don't remember whether or not the safety locked the bolt.

Art

garryc

I've shot the 600's in 243, 308 and 350mag. Definatly get the 350. Just a little hint, the 243 in that short barrel will blow your ears out even just shooting to hunt.

catusbill

Question for experts

I just bought a G. McMillan .308 custom. Someone told me that the receiver was an original Rem 600. There's one kicker, this is a left-handed action. Is that possible?

AMcMillan0.jpg

Last edited:

JasoninSD

I found the informaion I needed at the Remington web site. Turns out my .350 has been reworked and the .243 was not affected, so I am good to go.

Garry, do you have any recomendations for powder in a short barreled .243?

Catus Bill, I am no expert but that does not look like a 600 action. Is that a claw extractor?

Jason

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
My .243 is a 19" Sako carbine. I've used 3031 behind both the Sierra 85-grain HPBT and the 70-grain Hornady spire point. Excellent accuracy, around 1/2 to 5/8 MOA for three-shot groups. About 1/8 more for five-shot.

Art

44 AMP

Staff
Model 600 series

First of all, congratulations on a fine pair of carbines. Now, for some answers. Claw extractor, left hand, no, not a model 600. All 600 series (660, Mowhawk 600) were push feed, identical to the Rem Model 700. All had the "dogleg" bolt handles. I have seen a couple of rifles where the bolt handle was replaced. One even had a mannlicher "butter knife" bolt handle.

As far as powder for the .243, remember you are dealing with an 18.5in (or 20in - Mowhawk) barrel. Slow powders may give fine accuracy, but you don't have enough barrel for these powders to get all the way up to speed. Also, muzzle blast is something to be considered. Generally, medium burning powders will give you all the velocity you are going to get out of one of these short carbines.

Accuracy varies, abut generally is pretty good for hunting. Remember what these light rifles are for. If you get great groups, fine. But don't expect alot. The light barrels (with the rib) tend to "walk" as they heat up, sometimes rather badly. This is a game rifle, and 3 shot groups are usually fairly good.

Note, if you disassemble the rifle, take care to get the magazine box fully seated in the reciever when putting it back together (it likes to pop out a little). If it pops out, and you don't notice it, you can bend the triggerguard/floorplate (plastic) when you tighten the screws. I have seen several M 600s like this.

Again, congrats. The little guns carry well, and handle like a dream.

catusbill

Hummmm

I will keep looking to find out what receiver Gail McMillan used to build this carbine. I guess it is possible he milled it himself from a solid piece of stainless. Imagine that a smith building a rifle action from cold stock steel. Far and few of them around theses days. If a gun smith reads this, don't take offense, just running my mouth thought my fingers.