Remington 597 VTR

rickdavis81

I was in the local shop today looking for a new pistol for the wife when I spotted one of these. He said it just came in. (I would post a pic of one but I'm at work). Looks loosely like an AR. Free float tube and barrel. I'm just wondering what kind of accuracy it has. I'm also considering the S&W mp15-22. Anybody else seen one or shot one?

9x19

It's just a 597 dressed in different clothes... much like the 10/22 dressed in an Arch Angel stock set, or Nordic conversion.

597_vtr_410.jpg

Based on my experience with the 597, accuracy will be good, but not match-grade... but few of us can truly command match-type accuracy from an off-hand hold. :eek:

LanceOregon

This is further proof that the current management at Remington has no idea of what it is doing.

I'm beginning to wonder if the company will not face bankruptcy soon, if they keep on this path.

--

Evan Thomas

It's a $200.00 rifle for $450.00. If it's worth it to you to spend the extra $250.00 for cosmetic appearance, go for it.

On the other hand, for the same $$, you could get a really accurate .22, and a fairly decent scope...

Technosavant

I just bought one, and am an owner of a more traditional 597.

I like the 597 action, I think it has good inherent accuracy potential. I like the feel of the VTR- a bit more AR-like, but not quite the full-up .22LR AR.

However, I've only had it out to the range once and so far I'm unimpressed. I need to try some other ammo types, the stuff I was shooting (bulk Federal, but it's quite accurate in my other 597) was keeping minute of paper plate at 50 yards. I expect far better, and if trying some other ammo doesn't sort it out, Remington will get a chance to repent of their sins.

Also, the thing is a real pain to strip down to where you can get the bolt out. With a regular 597, it's 4 screws- two to remove the stock, drive out a couple pins for the trigger group, then the other two screws for the action bars. For the VTR, it's 17 screws- 6 on each side plate, one to remove the front trunnion-like part with the handguard, one to remove the pistol grip, one to remove the rear trunnion, then you can pull the trigger group and then 2 more for the action bars. At least the bolt is teflon coated, so that kind of disassembly won't be an "every time it's shot" kind of thing.

I like the feel of this rifle, it's very compact and handy, and if it can achieve the same accuracy as my other 597 I'll be quite pleased. Eventually I might have the barrel threaded for a suppressor.

BusGunner007

This is further proof that the current management at Remington has no idea of what it is doing.

I'm beginning to wonder if the company will not face bankruptcy soon, if they keep on this path.

sqgjs5_snotty_bitch_face.gif

;) Been waiting for a chance to use this...:D