Remington .38 Special +P Ammunition Recall

JohnKSa

Administrator
Remington is recalling a lot of .38 Special + because it may contain .357Magnum ammo, an obviously unsafe situation. The ammo in question is the 125-grain semi-jacketed hollowpoint lod (L38S2B), 100 -round box. The lot number is P24UA18R. If you have it, do not shoot it in your .38. Contact Remington.

"is this 357 ammo in a 38 special box or a 357 load in a 38 special case?"

My question exactly. If it's .357 Mag. shells in a box of .38s, they're not going to fit in any .38 revolver in which you'd want to shoot +Ps.

If it's a .357 Mag. load in a .38 Spl. case, that's a bad, bad thing.

Brian48

I haven't seen Remington .38 +P around my parts in a long time. Still, do you have a link, email, of ,pdf with all the deatils that you can send me? If this is the case, I'd like to circulate this around the local shops in my area.

SaxonPig

Can a 357 charge be loaded into a 38 case? Maybe the new lower pressure 357 loads. Still not good in most 38s.

ClydeFrog

i dont want to be; "that guy" but....

Could this factory goof/recall be due to plant workers going 12/16 hours a day 6/7 days a week?
Black Hills claimed in a ad that their staff do 16 hour days.:rolleyes:
Im all for more rounds & more logistics but not at the cost of lowered QC or sub standard supervision.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Isn't this notice from last year?
It's dated November 2012 on the Remington website. I saw it published in a recent magazine issue and posted it here without checking the Remington website to see when it originated.

"Can a 357 charge be loaded into a 38 case? Maybe the new lower pressure 357 loads. Still not good in most 38s."

Depending on the powder type and specific loading, yes.

KMAX

I have a empty box of L38S2B that I filled with reloads. I went to the website to find where to look for the lot code and checked mine against it. Not the same, but I wish my lot code was as legible as the one on the website. Mine was barely legible enough to determine it was different. Just a minor gripe and the point was moot anyway because I had shot all the factory ammo from that box anyway. Just sayin'.

buck460XVR

From what I understood last year when this recall came out it was .357 ammo in .357 cases packaged in .38 special boxes. No where in any of the Remington statements did it ever say the ammo was not safe to shoot in .357 firearms. How one would get .357s in a .38 chamber is a good question, but obviously Remington was bein' on the safe side. Not a loading or manufacturing mistake, but a packaging mistake. If you look at Remmie .38 and .357 125gr 100 count value pacs, you see they use the same size boxes for both and the boxes look surprisingly similar. Somebody loading the boxing machine maybe grabbed the wrong stack of boxes? I too had just bought a box of .38s right before the recall came out, but my lot number did not match either. At that time the only way I could find .38 cases to reload was to buy factory ammo at Wally world.

JohnKSa

Administrator
How one would get .357s in a .38 chamber is a good question, but obviously Remington was bein' on the safe side.
Some of the older .38spl revolvers have cylinders that are bored all the way through and could potentially chamber .357 ammo.

Webleymkv

Quote:
How one would get .357s in a .38 chamber is a good question, but obviously Remington was bein' on the safe side.

Some of the older .38spl revolvers have cylinders that are bored all the way through and could potentially chamber .357 ammo.

I would venture to guess that there are also some, shall we say "lower quality," revolvers out there with chambers cut sloppily enough to chamber .357 Magnum ammo even though they aren't supposed to.