Remington 308 180gr Core Lokt

Rob96

How well will these perform on Whitetail deer? I will be shooting these out of a Savage Model 11 with a 22" 1:10 twist barrel.

rantingredneck

They'll do just fine.

I've dropped many a whitetail down here in NC with .30-06 and .308 150 gr and 180 gr. Corelokts.

I prefer the 150's for our smaller NC deer. Your larger deer up there may not quite require the 180's but it certainly won't hurt. Lots of folks split the difference and shoot 165 gr. bullets.

The Corelokt is one of the first "controlled expansion" bullets on the market and is still a good choice.

Palmetto-Pride

Its more about shot placement than bullet, I have dropped deer where they stand with a 62gr .223 and I have had to go looking for deer with 180gr 30-06. My point is there is no magic bullet, a bad shot no matter what you shoot and you will be in for a search. I usually try for a neck shot and most of the time they drop right there.......:)

k in AR

Ditto, shot placement, the Rem 180 Corelokt's are great but in all fairness it sure does'nt take near that much to bring a deer down with a clean shot. Guess the main question should be is: how accurate are they out of your firearm?

44 AMP

Staff
Shot placement is key, with any bullet...

But the Remington Core-Lokt have been a standard for generations. They work. Back when I was a teenager I took two Adirondak whitetails with 180gr .308 Core-Lokt. One was DRT and the other stumbled a few yards. Both bullets went all the way through.

I have seen many other deer taken with that load, including some that fell to "texas heart shots". Do your part, and the ammo will do its.

Regolith

Why 180gr? 150 or 165gr Core Lokts will work just as well and won't hurt your shoulder quite as much. Especially for white tail. I wouldn't use 180 unless hunting elk or moose.

OlCrip

The 180's are a little heavy for deer, even up North here. It's what I used on Moose and Elk. Hard to beat 150's on deer.

Dougw47

180's on deer

Little on the heavy side, I shoot factory 150's on TX deer, did reload some 165's that were bash and smash loads. If it was all I had to practice with at this time of year, I'd shoot 10 and save 10 for use, they will get the job done.

hooligan1

When I used to live in the bootheel of Missouri, the timber where I hunted was kind of thick and all my shots were usually closer than 100yds. For that job 180 Corelokts got the nod. I usually got my deer with one shot for the season and done!:cool: And until I moved up north I used the 180's and open sights, btw my rifle was a Rem 700 3006. When I moved, I found more open timber and pasture land was the norm, so I traded for a scope and started handloading 150 Ballistic Tips. These Corelokts seemed to always get the job done.;)

Jack O'Conner

660muley-1.jpg

The round nose 180 is an outstanding bullet for ALL big game in North America. It hits hard and opens up fast like a 150 grain pointed bullet but has the weight (momentum) to smash through bones and penetrate deeply.

The round nose bullet has same approximate trajectory as pointed bullet out to about 225 yards. Beyond this distance the pointed bullet has a significant advantage.

Jack

Rob96

I am mainly thinking about the 180's for bear and deer that way I don't have to change the scope settings back and forth from 150 and 180.

GeauxTide

An old friend of mine had an old Remington 722 and complained of his deer running a hundred or more yards after a shoulder hit with 180RN CL. I loaded some 150 Hornadys @ 2700 and he was amazed at the difference.