Remington 1911 R1

Jack Bauer

So, I recently picked up one of these due to Remington's reputation and the price. I'd like to make just a couple of changes, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good gunsmith that can do the work without emptying my wallet. I like the sights, I like the shorter trigger. I'd like the "commander" style hammer, and I'd like a beaver tail grip safety added. I've seen the basic "bolt on" style of grip safety for the Government Model, but I think I'd like a fitted one.

Is the Remington a good candidate for such work? I thought about just buying a 1911 with all that stuff, but couldn't find one I liked that matched what I wanted (for me the biggest deal breaker is the forward cocking serrations. I can't seem to find a good 1911 for a decent price that doesn't have those abominations.)

I appreciate any thoughts, opinions, advice...

Thanks.

Hunter Customs

Gary,
The price on what you are wanting done will very depending on how the frame is finished.
Keep in mind the frame will have to be refinished after the beavertail is fit and blended.
In my shop stainless frames is the least expensive to refinish, blue frames are next and painted frames will be the most expensive.
If you can find you a good local smith it will save you the cost of shipping the gun both ways, plus I feel it's always best if you can talk face to face.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Jack Bauer

Thanks for the info, Bob...problem is, I can't find a good local 'smith in my area. A Google search provided a few names, at least two of which I know are out of business. The last is Gander Mountain, and I'm not sure about the abilities of their gunsmith to do what I want. I'll keep looking...

rsxr22

i cannot speak for your smith at your Gander, but i have always found the smith's to be very good. I would atleast go talk to him, your want to do list is not very in depth at all and for the most part very easy to do if you like tinkering with things. Installing a trigger and beavertail are not that big of a deal. When you buy your beavertail, dont buy the drop in if you want a good fit side to side. And if/when installing the trigger i would also have a smith touch up and smooth out the trigger, the R1's triggers arent bad for $599, but with no aftermarket parts needed a smith can extremely increase the quality of trigger pull. A local shop should be able to direct you to someone or just take it to Gander

shredder4286

1911 fans

since we're on the topic- i imagine that you've shot the R1, would you recommend it as a first 1911? i mean, you can't beat the price in comparison to the high end brands:rolleyes:

Auto426

The Remington 1911 RI is a decent starter 1911. It's not of the highest quality, but for an entry level 1911 it's not that bad. It has high visibility sights, a lowered and flared ejection port, a flat mainspring housing, and the price isn't that bad either.

Don't discount guns because they have higher prices though. The guns may looks similar, but there are many internal differences in the quality of the materials used and the way they are put together. If you have the extra cash to spend on a Colt or similar brand, then do it, as you will be getting a better gun.

shredder4286

The Remington 1911 RI is a decent starter 1911. It's not of the highest quality, but for an entry level 1911 it's not that bad. It has high visibility sights, a lowered and flared ejection port, a flat mainspring housing, and the price isn't that bad either.

Don't discount guns because they have higher prices though. The guns may looks similar, but there are many internal differences in the quality of the materials used and the way they are put together. If you have the extra cash to spend on a Colt or similar brand, then do it, as you will be getting a better gun.

well, to be honest, the only 1911 i've ever shot was my brother's compact springfield 1911, and i wasn't too crazy about it- but i've handled and dry fired a few full-size kimbers and a springfield, and i like the feel of them. i'm not looking to spend 1/2 a paycheck on one, so if the R1 is a decent quality 1911, it'll probly be a perfect starter for me. i'm not really looking for Top of the line quality and the best trigger pull out of the box and all that, just a good starter, so down the line, i'll know the difference;)

thanks for the input

Hunter Customs

"since we're on the topic- i imagine that you've shot the R1, would you recommend it as a first 1911? i mean, you can't beat the price in comparison to the high end brands"

shredder4286,
I've not had one on my bench nor have I had the chance to shoot one so I can't give an honest opinion on the gun.
I do know some of Remingtons latest gun offerings has done very little as for impressing me when it comes to quality.
If a person wants a bare bones quality 1911 that's backed by excellent customer service if needed, a Springfield Armory 1911A1 mil-spec would be at the top of the list.
If one is wanting a single stack factory gun to use as a base gun to customize to their liking I recommend the Springfield or Colt.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

shredder4286

I've not had one on my bench nor have I had the chance to shoot one so I can't give an honest opinion on the gun.
I do know some of Remingtons latest gun offerings has done very little as for impressing me when it comes to quality.
If a person wants a bare bones quality 1911 that's backed by excellent customer service if needed, a Springfield Armory 1911A1 mil-spec would be at the top of the list.
If one is wanting a single stack factory gun to use as a base gun to customize to their liking I recommend the Springfield or Colt.
Regards
Bob Hunter

thanks for the info and suggestion;)

now, again- since we're on the subject of remington's quality, even the model 700 is no good anymore?:confused: i heard someone else speak unhighly of the quality of the 700 as of late, but they didn't specify. was there a certain point where the quality dramatically decreased or was it more gradual over time?

thanks

A discussion about the Remington 700's quality, or lack there of, is a subject for discussion in Art of the Rifle, NOT in The Semiauto Forum.

mapwd

probably about the time they were taken over by Cerberus. The same company that owns Bushmaster and now has acquired DPMS.

shredder4286

Originally posted by mike irwin, staff
A discussion about the Remington 700's quality, or lack there of, is a subject for discussion in Art of the Rifle, NOT in The Semiauto Forum.

i started a thread in the art of the rifle, which i haven't gotten one response to, like i knew already. that's why i took the opportunity to ask the gentlemen when i had the chance.

Jack Bauer

Thanks, Bob...East Troy isn't all that far from me, and my work takes me there quite often. I'll try calling him on Monday.

As to quality, I handled the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec and some other SA pistols, and in fact, owned a "Loaded" model a few years ago. I was not impressed with the workmanship or accuracy compared to the Remington. At fifteen yards the Loaded shot about 6" low for everyone who tried it, and wouldn't group worth a darn. I'm a fair shot but couldn't hold a four-inch group at that distance, nor could two other guys (better shots than I).

Ideally what I'm looking for in a 1911 are: full size 5" barrel, good sights, short trigger, beaver tail grip safety, commander style hammer and left-side only thumb safety. Front strap checkering would be a plus, but not really necessary for me. I bought the Remington because the price was right, and I figured it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to make it the way I want...really only the addition of the beaver tail and commander hammer...