Remington 1100 v. 11-87

Dorsai

Since newer is supposed to be better, there is an assumption that the 11-87 is better than the 1100 (in some or all areas?). I'm interested in getting an autoloading shotgun for hunting, 3 gun matches and self defense. I am planning on a 20" barrel and ghost ring sights, slugs to bird shot. For those of you with knowledge and/or experience, do I need to go with an 11-87, or will the 1100 do just fine? In my area, it looks like the 11-87 costs $150-200 more than an 1100.

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal
weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the
monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Cat

The older 1100 was chambered for EITHER 2 3/4" OR 3" shells. The 3" guns will not fire 2 3/4" reliably. The 11-87 has a "self regulating" gas system and all are 3" chambered and "should" fire all 2 3/4 to 3" magnum loads. In my experience, this does not always work out with real light target loads. The 11-87s with the shorter slug barrels are regulated for mag ammo only and will NOT function the shotgun with light target loads. Also, the 11-87 is a little heavier duty in the locking area and the barrel, I believe.
I've had both. I do not need 3" ammo for what I do with a shotgun and stick with the 1100. I am VERY happy with them.
Cat