Remington 11-48 / 16 ga.

Bucksnort1

Gents and Ladies,

A friend just called to tell me he has a choice of one of two shotguns from a deceased relative. One is a semi-auto Remington 11-48 in 16 gauge and the other is also a 16 gauge side-by-side but at the moment, he can't find a manufacturer. He is calling long distance so I can't see the gun except what he sends by text.

I know the -48 replaced the original post WWII model 11 but that's all I know. Another friend has an 11 which is broken and can't be repaired because no one has the part.

He is asking my opinion on which gun to take. At the moment and without knowing manufacturer on the double barrel, I will advise him to take the double. As soon as he calls, I will instruct him on how to remove the fore grip to look for a name. I would attach the photo of the double barrel he sent but it is not of the complete gun. The photo does show the receiver is case hardened.

From the initial photo, the double does not look like a Damascus barrel.

FITASC

A lot would depend on who made that Spanish gun and when it was made, as well as if it is still on the face and has no loose ribs

stinkeypete

11-48 is a copy of a Browning design, after the Browning patent expired. Parts are still available and it's a solid semi-auto. I am wondering what part your friend can't get?

A random sidexside is fun in that, who knows? It could be an old LC Smith or Sterlingworth or.. maybe it's just a plain jane old Savage.

bladesmith 1

There was no mention the SxS was a Spanish gun. Some of the early SxSs had a lot of DAH and that would cause the barrel to flip up driving the comb into your face making the gun uncomfortable to shoot.

I had a Model 11 and there are some parts that are very scarce. Although I love old SxSs [ owning over a dozen ] I'd tell him to buy the 11-48.

Pahoo

The Spaniard !!??

He is asking my opinion on which gun to take. At the moment and without knowing manufacturer on the double barrel, I will advise him to take the double.

My opinion as well. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!