Remingtion 742: need your opinion.

Firepower!

Hi
I have come across a Remington 742 in .308 winchester. I would like to know what are your views on this rifle.
Thanks.

uncyboo

How much $ ?

My opinion of the rifle is this...clean it good, especially the chamber, shoot middle groung loads in it if you handload. Anything factory will work EXCEPT the Light Magnum/Superperformance/Enhanced velocity offerings. When I handloaded for these (or any gas semi-auto) I wound up halfway between listed starting and listed max loads and never had any problems. Again, keep the rifle clean, especially the chamber. This is not a battle rifle. It was designed as a hunting arm, and fills that purpose well.

Last edited:

Scorch

While 742s were reliable and very serviceable rifles, some problems that arise are:
* They develop serious headspace issues and receiver wear, which make them unfixable jam-o-matics.
* The rifle has not been produced in about 30 years, so just about any 742 you come across is already pretty tired.
* While some parts are available, many are not, and Remington Service Centers routinely turn 742s away as unrepairable. This does not mean they cannot be fixed at all, just that you may end up putting a lot of money into a rifle that is not really worth it.

L_Killkenny

Had a 742 in .243 for awhile. With factory ammo and stock mags it was 100% reliable. With reloads I had trouble getting it to function using RCBS small base dies. With aftermarket 10 round mags it was unreliable. As an after thought I often think I should of tried some other brand of small base dies for my reloads and I might of been alright. I liked the gun, it was decent in the accuracy department with handloads and it handled well but went down the road anyway due to the issues.

LK

ZeroJunk

Well, for $250 or $300 you can try one and see. Even though they are old I doubt a large percentage ever left the closet other than a once a year deer hunt. I know of several in that category. Seems like some claim they always jam and some say they never jam. It's not like it's big money loser to play with.

publius

Unless you get it real cheap<$200, I'd pass. with a good one you need to keep it real clean and be satisfied with 'minute of deer" accuracy. If you have a bad one it's jammomatic forever.

James R. Burke

I had one along time ago. I did not reload at the time. The rifle always worked for me. But having read what some have advised that I really respect in there knowledge I probably would pass on it. Just being old is one, not that it cant be fixed. A few of them really know there stuff, and I would take there advise, and check it out till your satisifed on what you do. It would be a pass for me, but that is only me.

Jseime

I had one in .243 for a while... good little gun, shot not too bad. The thing I have been told to look for is really quite simple. If you hold the action open look into the reciever and on the side opposite the ejection port. There is a steel rail type thing in there. If it is worn and beat up looking the rifle has been fired a lot and is nearing then end of its useful life and will become the dreaded jam-o-matic.

The one I had was pretty good overall... only jammed a couple of times.

giaquir

I've had a 742 in 308 since
1973, never has given me a
problem.I just hold on a deer
and if I do my part DRT. I really
didn't pay attention to all these
negative comments.
I"m gonna get rid of it before she starts jamming.
My uncle up in washington cty Me has one
that he bought before the bolt or thread angle
change. goes bang all the time. another 308.

Picher

I've found a few of these rifles to shoot very well. Toward the end of their production run, Remington made some soft receivers and they wore out quickly, being deformed by the bolt in recoil.

Bolts on older rifles often created burrs on the barrel breech end from the relatively small contact area slamming into the barrel. Those may have been repeatedly slammed shut without ammo.

The biggest problem I have with the model is that the bolt hold-open feature is in the magazine, so it can't be removed without closing the bolt.

On the other hand, the 760 and 7600 pumps are fine rifles that last a long time. The barrels are free-floating, resulting in great accuracy.

Analytical

My grandmother passed me her Remington Woodsmaster 740 recently, circa 1955. It runs quite well on factory ammunition, I don't reload 30-06 so I can't speak to that facet. I get 2 MOA out of it with Winchester CT ammo. I've yet to have it jam on me, but after detail stripping it, I can see how the gas system could be problematic as parts wear. However, my reference 740 has 50 years of hunting under its belt and is not badly worn.

Remington has sold over a million of the 740/742/7400/750 line of rifles, all essentially the same. Amazingly you hear little about them, either there are a lot of them sitting in closets or they aren't all bad.

It's worth mentioning that these are hunting rifles, not long range precision sniper rifles, or high volume battle rifles. The capability for rapid fire is there, but the rifle/barrel is not designed to handle it.

Just my somewhat objective view based on first hand experience.

Mannlicher

I have shot the dickens out of my 1976 Bi Centennial 742 chambered in .30-06. Several deer, and a number of hogs have gone from woods to table, thanks to my Remington.

Very good accuracy, totally reliable, and easy to carry and shoot.
IMG_2895.jpg

L_Killkenny

Ya know I find it interesting that the shooters here that favor the 742 even slightly all list examples, loads, show pics, list accuracy results, etc. The people that don't favor the 742 ONLY post short, 1 sentence responses against the gun. Makes me think that the ones that are calling them jamomatics, junk, etc. are just regurgitating internet BS and have zero personal experience with the gun. You want to call em junk back it up with fact and info, otherwise your opinion is useless.

LK

publius

My post will be short again but I've had 2 in 30-06, bought one that looked like hell for $75.00 and it worked pretty good. bought another that looked very good for $150.00 and wouldn't function with any consistency with any ammo. i'd buy another for cheap but wouldn't pay much on that gamble.

Abel

The people that don't favor the 742 ONLY post short, 1 sentence responses against the gun. Makes me think that the ones that are calling them jamomatics, junk, etc. are just regurgitating internet BS and have zero personal experience with the gun. You want to call em junk back it up with fact and info, otherwise your opinion is useless.

They are prone to jamming. I know a guy who uses his as a single shot. Why would you think that anyone is making this stuff up? What reason would a person have to embellish jamming guns? I can think of at least three people that I have hunted with over the years that have owned this model and had it jam on them very frequently.