Rember Your First Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flattop

Sorry for the unusal post, but today I took my 11 year old son to the target range and let him fire a handgun for the first time. To see the fear and excitement in his eyes the first time he picked up the loaded pistol. Then the undeniable joy that beamed from his face as he fired his first shot. I must say he did better than I expected. I went to the range to test fire a USP .40 I'm thinking of buying. While loading the last 10 rounds I saw my son sitting quitely at the bench and asked him if he wanted to shoot the last mag. He jumped to his feet with a smile from ear to ear. I showed him how to hold the pistol with two hands, how to use the 3-dot sights, gave him a little gun safety lecture and laid the pistol on the stall table. He had trouble with the DA trigger pull, so I placed the pistol in the SA mode. From there he had no problem. To my amazement he put all 10 rounds on target at 10 yards including 3 in the 9 area. My son was estatic with his performance and kept the target to show everyone. I wish my first time shooting was as memorable. It was boot camp in Great Lakes with a Chief Gunners Mate cursing in my ear that I was the sorryist sack of whale s--t to ever hold a rifle. So for all you shooters out there, remember your fist time?

Mal H

Staff
Well, I'll start because I remember my first shots like they were yesterday. I was around 8 years old when my Dad took me to the Marine Corp range in San Diego and he showed me how to shoot a .22 rifle. It was absolutely thrilling. He shot his .45 a little and I remember thinking how I would never be able to shoot a powerful gun like that. :)

Let's hope your son remembers today for the rest of his life also. I have a feeling he will.

(This is worth sharing with the entire board. I'll move it to the General Discussion forum...)

Status
Not open for further replies.