rem700p tune up for xmas

308Loader

Thinking about bringing my stock 700p in to the gunsmith for xmas. I want my barrel threaded for a break. While it is in the shop, I was thinking I would have the trigger lightened up just a bit. Any other ideas on what a guy should have done for a stock rem700p? Maby a new trigger, bolt handle, bottom metal, lap the lugs, chamber casting...

Clark

My shpeal:

One can modify a Rem700 to try to bring it closer to Win M70 standards:
1) Glue a shroud to the receiver to get a flat receiver bottom to resist bullet twist torque.
2) Get a Sako extractor modification to replace weak extractor with a bigger extractor.
3) Safety blocks trigger, not firing pin..... Gentry 3 position safety on firing pin
4) Recoil lug not attached... drill receiver and buy a Holland pinned recoil lug.
5) Barrel may shake loose, apply glue. Vaughn also has proposed Rem700 design change.
6) Bolt handle soldered on and will break off, TIG weld on handle or drill and tap and add some fasteners.

So far all I have done is drill the receiver face and pin the recoil lug.

Have him adjust the trigger. That's it.

Installing a SAKO extractor will cost you about $150. There is a reason why Remington has three rings of steel. The first ring, the bolt head itself, is designed upon case failure to expand and seal the breech. Milling out the bolt to accept a SAKO type extractor defeats that safety design. Keep that in mind.

Bolt handles can break off, but this rarely happens. If you're that worried, you can have it TIG welded or get a one piece PTG one fitted.

As for safety, I think it's a good idea. I have a PTG swing type safety, but have been too lazy to install it. :eek:

Keep in mind the more you spend, the happier your gunsmith will be. It's ducats for him. Consider if you can use the money toward other things like paying off bills.

Bart B.

Remington's desire to have three rings of steel on 700's and 721's comes from their barrel shank design. Neither rings support the case head or bolt head for all pressures from 10% reduced powder charges to heavy ones used in proof loads; there's several thousandths clearance. But they are cheap, easy and quick to make on machinery. Their objectives when switching over from M1917 Enfield tooling that made their model 30 and 720 rifles was cheap, easy and quick. Those three rings do not seal the breech; the cartridge case does that. If the case head ruptures, high pressure gas and tiny metal particles will escape around and through the parts fit tolerance gaps.

Winchesters classic actions had a lot more open area around their case heads and cost a lot more to make as did their barrel tenons. So did magnum Mauser bolt actions made for 45 caliber and larger behemoth busters.

Both receivers have a much higher bursting pressure than proof loads generating over 90,000 psi. I don't know what the incident rate per thousand rifles of each for blown case heads that start to expand at proof load levels.