Rem700 LTR .308 Which scope do you have?

Harry Callahan

I've submitted a couple of threads regarding scope choices and while I appreciate all the help you all have given me I just feel like a kid at a candy store. I like Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss, Bushnell, and also have heard impressive reports on the Super Sniper models. With a budget of about $500 I won't be able to get the top of the line entries. I thought maybe it would be best to just ask those that actually have an LTR what scope they use. Hopefully one of you uses a setup that fits my budget. It shouldn't be this hard to decide!:eek:

hatchet

On my .308 700VS I have a Weaver 4x16. I just got a Zeiss 3x9 for my 30-06 Ruger. The Zeiss is Definetly brighter in low light conditions. But, for the money, one can't beat the Weaver.

Gewehr98

My 700PSS wears a Sightron 4-16x42 S-II MilDot.

With Leupold QRW rings and bases. It's been a very nice combination so far, but I don't shoot the gun much past 600-800 yards. I'd need 20 MOA bases and some hotter handloads for ranges past that.

700psstitusville.jpg

629 shooter

Hopefully one of you uses a setup that fits my budget. It shouldn't be this hard to decide!

Yeah , I find it pretty hard myself!

Not a .308 , but I do have a .223 LTR with a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5X-20X 50mm. The equivalent today however would be way more than $500. Plus it is not a tactical scope which is not a factor for me since my rifle is used in short range shooting for now , less than 200 yards.

I am going to order a scope for my Savage .223 and am looking at the same budget you have. The scopes I have under consideration are:

Weaver Grand Slam 6X-20X - $355
Bushnell Elite 4200 6X-24X - $389
Nikon Monarch 6.5X-20X - $415

Sometimes you might be able to find a used Leupold on eBay that should fall into your budget. I am looking there as well.

I have also considered adding the LTR in .308 later. My .223 LTR shoots very well for me and I have heard good things about the .308 LTR as well. I am just wondering how much felt recoil there is with the "little" rifle in .308? I had a 700P and 700VS in .308 and they were not too bad.

gr8gun

I just got in my scope for my .308 LTR, and I haven't even had a chance to fire the rifle yet!!! The rain is supposed to let up next Tuesday...

As you know, there are a lot of scope options out there. I went with a Leupold VX-II 6-18x. I eliminated the comparable Bushnell and Burris models because they were bigger and heavier, I liked the compactness of the Leupold even though dollar for dollar I gave up some magnification (the others were 6-20x IIRC).

Having only played with it in the yard, my first impression is a bit of disappointment. It doesn't seem any clearer or brighter than the VX-I that I have on my Tikka T3, and the eye relief seems less forgiving than the Weaver Grand Slam (4-14) I have on another gun. I'll have to set them up side by side on a bench to get a better feel for it, but this was my first venture into more expensive glass, and so far I think I may have hit my personal wall of diminishing returns. YMMV.

stellarpod

I've been pleased with my Zeiss Conquest 3x90-40, and it's reasonably priced at $399. I believe it's one of the best values out there in a 3x9.

Nikon Monarch is worth looking at as well, in the $300-325 range.

stellarpod

Fat White Boy

I have a Leupold VXII 3X9X40 on my Remington 700VLS in .308. It works quite well. I have a Nikon 3X9X40 on my Winchester Model 70 in .270. It also is very good...

Jimro

Tactical Scopes

I have an IOR 6x42 w/ MP8 reticle on my Savage, an IOR 2.5-10x42 on a sporterized Turk, and a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 on another heavy barreled 308.

The fixed 6x scope is plenty for serious "tactical" work, as is the fixed 10x Bushnell. The 2.5-10x Variable does just as well as the other two, I leave it set at 10x for all intents and purposes.

The Bushnell is a surprising buy, available for under 200 bucks and with a great warrantee. The Elite models are made by Light Optical Works of Japan and are a good alternative to the SuperSniper offerings that are made by Hakko (also in Japan) which is also a great buy.

IOR Glass is made by Schott, which is Zeiss' supplier as well. Best glass for the money, on par with USO or Nightforce, the 6x42 model can be had for under 500, but if you want anything in the 10x range your best bet is to look for a used scope.

In your budget your best bet for a fixed scope is either a Bushnell or SuperSniper, and for a variable with mildot reticle is a Bushnell or Nikon.

This should meet all of your needs if you want more magnification than 10x; http://www.riflescopes.com/products/426242P/bushnell_6-24x40_elite_4200_rifle_scope.htm Altho the Nikon Monarch is better for "tactical" purposes since the Elite has 1/8th MOA adjustments which is a fine for a target or varminting scope, but a little annoying for rapid adjustment between ranges.

You will also want to look into a 20 MOA base so that you can free up some adjustment for reaching out to 1K, if you get the itch.

Jimro

ragwd

I have mounted a leupold 6.5x20x40 on my remington 700p .308:D Just got the rig together a few weeks ago, shoots great! Getting use to the scope. But I have very little else to add since its a new set up to me.
dscf0069lh0.jpg

DanV1317

you need to put a Tasco Super Sniper on that thing.

Riflescopes.com

Get the 10x.

299$ for a scope comparable to a leupold.

ragwd

:D thanks FWB, Ive only had it a few weeks and only 60 rounds thru it, trying to find out what ammo it likes best

trooper3385

Super Sniper

I have a Remington 700 LTR in a 308. When I purchased it, it came set up with the Harris Bipod and a Super Sniper scope. It's a fixed 10X mil dot with the 30mm tube. I had never even heard of them before getting this rifle. Just about all my rifles have Leupold glass with a couple of Zeiss and Burris. I have to say that this scope is excellent and would highly recommend one. I did quite abit of research on the net on it after getting it and some of the torcher tests that some have put it, the scope seems just about indestructable. Go to www.swfa.com and you can find just about all the info you want on them. The scope is very clear, it has a built in sun shade on it, and the large target knobs are real nice. I have a friend thats dad has a range set up at his ranch out to 1500 meters. I didn't have to much time to play around with it until it started getting dark, but I was shooting steel deer silloutte targets at 600 meters with kill shots everytime. When the scope first came out, it was manufactured by Tasco and had some problems. There not made by Tasco anymore. SWFA bought the rights to it, and I have not heard of any problems with the new ones that are coming out. The store I bought it from, offered to switch the scope out with a Leupold VX-II 4-14 for less money. After looking through both of them and not knowing anything about the Super Sniper, I went with the Super Sniper. And like I said, I pretty much have Leupolds on all my rifles. They have a contract with I believe the Navy. For the price, you can't go wrong with them.