REM SPS 30-06 ammo ?

Before I go spend money I don't have, what factory ammo is going to get me more accurate shots.I have sighted it in as it is new with 150 gr corelokts and am pleased with my 100 yard shots grouping 2-3".Im shooting from a bench with a Caldwell lead sled.This new bolt gun is under a new VX3I 4.5x14x50.Im sure there has to be a few Remmy fans.Been shootings corelokts in a 30-06 many years bench and field have never wanted to spend more on shells but would like to step up shooting skills thanks for any replies.

Gods blessings surround us.

Last edited:

Buzzcook

The mechanical accuracy of your rifle doesn't have anything to do with your shooting skills.
You can improve your shooting skills without getting a new rifle. Take it off the sled and start shooting from field positions.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Only by trying different brands of ammo can you find the most accurate. That's just the way it is.

Odds are that CoreLokt will do just fine for hunting.

99% of the time, smallest groups come from minor tweaking of the rifle's bedding and working up a good handload.

Gunshows and Craigslist are good sources for good used reloading gear--which lasts for ever. (I'm still using dies that were not new when I acquired them in 1950.)

The price of quality ammo has gone up, generally is going up and is unlikely to be cheaper in the future--no matter who is president. :)

Doyle

There is NO way for anyone to tell you what ammo will do best in your rifle. Only time at the range will tell you that. Brand X that performs beautifully in one rifle will perform like crap in another rifle.

upstate81

mix it up

If you like that brand of ammo try other bullet weights for better accuracy. I tend to shoot hornady factory ammo most often if not reloads.

RC20

I don't get you have to spend a lot of money.

Pick up good ammo on sale as it comes up and try it out. You will find something decent. Guns all tend to be different. What works in one not so much in the other.

Frankly no one makes Match 30-06, you have to hand-load for that. I can hand load hunting loads down to 1 inch pretty easily.

308 has a plethora of rounds that are match grade. Not intended for hunting however.

If as accurate as possible hunting ammo is your need then stick with hunting ammo. If you get it down to 1.5 inches that is more than good enough for hunting.

With your setup I would say that your gun is somewhat inaccurate for whatever reasons. Remington has lousy triggers.

My brother has a 700 that requires very long and heavy bullets to shoot decently. It has a very long throat. Intended as long distance. I don't know what the SPS take is or how heavy a barrel (Heavy Barrel is usually intended for longer distances)

You have to find out what the reputation of the gun is in that regards.

The mechanical accuracy of your rifle doesn't have anything to do with your shooting skills.
You can improve your shooting skills without getting a new rifle. Take it off the sled and start shooting from field positions.

You don't seem to get that the idea is to remove the shooting skills as much as possible and try to stabilize the issue to what ammo is MOST ACCURATE taking the shooter out of the equation. At 2 to 3 inches there is some issue there.

And you don't seem to get, there is a huge amount of skill in bench rest, even doing a lead sled takes a lot of technique.

I bench shoot off bags, its my fun, try to poke 1/4 inch holes at 100 yds and let me know how it goes. Do it for 5 rounds. I usually fail.

That is my fun, for my physical condition situation (not caused by myself) that is what I can do and it too is a sport requiring a consummate degree of skill to be good at it.

In other words, there are a lot of shooting skills as well as techniques.

Each to his or her own.

Buzzcook

Sorry I didn't get your point. Basically everyone is right when they say you pretty much have to figure this out your self.

Just try to limit the variables when you test new ammo.

The Corelokt is a 150, 165, or 180gr sp bullet. So you might stay with the same type and just move up in weight.

There are some people that claim a heavier longer for caliber bullet is more accurate. That might work for you.

Another option is finding similar bullets in the same weight from other sources. For instance the Hornadey 150gr sp is similar to the corelockt you could try them out.

Pathfinder45

While custom tailored reloads are almost always the best, sometimes factory ammo can do better than you would think. I reload and would never hunt with factory ammo if I had half a choice. Never the less, I've seen Winchester Power-Point ammo perform quite well. Try Federal ammo as well.

Rancid

Pick up a box of 180 grain 30-06 Core-locks in the Green and Yellow box. You will be pleasantly surprised. :D

T. O'Heir

If you're not reloading you must try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of said ammo means nothing. For a .30-06, start with 165 grain bullets.
Mind you, 2-3" groups, consistently, is nothing to sneeze at. Plenty accurate for hunting and with a 165, will kill any game in North America out to roughly 300 yards, if sighted in about 4" high at 100.
I'd be losing the sled and the high magnification scope. 2.5x to 8x or 3x to 9x is enough for hunting. Field of view gets smaller as the magnification increases.

RC20

Sorry I didn't get your point. Basically everyone is right when they say you pretty much have to figure this out your self.

Just try to limit the variables when you test new ammo.

The point is in order to limit the variables, the OP choice was to use a Lead Sled. (that is one good way)

Using various shooting positions does not tell you if its you or the ammo.

That can follow but it should not lead.

RC20

2 to 3 inch groups off a lead sled is something to sneeze at and there is a serious issue.

You should have no more than 1.5 inches with any gun and a modern gun should be able to keep that under 1.5 inches using a lead sled.

3 inches and then a standing shooting position is easily 8 inches off at 100.

The scope is loose, the actions screws are loose, the mount is loose or the ammo is really god awful in that gun.