Rem 9.5 mag primers in non-mag loads?

Tacoma

Went to the GS today to pick up some supplies to load for my new (old) 65.x55 Swedish Mauser. Picked up some H4350 and 1000 large rifle primers but when I got home found they had put magnum primers in the bag. So, safe to use these in my moderate loads? Any pressure/performance differences to note?

Never did much rifle relaoding so want to make sure I'm safe and informed.

Shoney

In general, whenever you change primers, whether it is using a different brand or a magnum in substitute of standard, you start at the lower end of the min/max listings and work up.

I have substituted many mag primers in place of standard, sometimes it was because I only had magnums; sometimes testing showed the magnums to be more accurate even though standard were called for.
Handloader Magazine published an interesting article by A-Square. Here is a short summary of the test of primers in the Remington 7mm Mag.

160 grain Sierra boat-tail, 66.0 grains of Hodgdon H-4831 and Winchester cases.

Winchester WLRM (magnum)___ 3045 fps, 67,600 psi

Winchester WLR (standard) ____ 3024 fps, 64,400 psi

Federal 215 (magnum)________ 3036 fps, 61,400 psi

CCI 250 (magnum)___________ 3039 fps, 61,500 psi

Remington 9½ M (magnum)____ 3041 fps, 59,300 psi

CCI 200 (standard)___________ 3011 fps, 54,800 psi

The SAAMI max pressure for the 7Mag is 64,000psi.
Also read these flash tests:
http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html

Tacoma

Thanks, I suspected as much. I'll use them up but start on the low end.
Interesting data there Shoney. Almost looks like Rem mag primers produce less pressure than winchester standard. Not saying this would be the norm, just interesting data.
Thanks, large cal rifle relaoding is somewhat foriengn to me. I've been a pistol shotgun guy for most of my roeloading.
Dave