Rem 798

mesabi

Bought a Remington 798 a few weeks back and finally got the chance to shoot it yesterday. Rifle was $450 new in box. I had a Barska Huntmaster Pro 3-12x50mm IR in a misc. box so I mounted it with weaver bases and rings.

I like the laminated stock and the weight of the rifle. Action is a little rough but I'm sure with time or some polishing it will smooth out nicely. I did have some feeding issues. I think I had the cases too far forward. The trigger has some creep to it, but not enough for me to complain. It is not my CZ 452's trigger or anything comparable to a Tikka T3.

For shooting and sighting in I had some Remington Core Lokt 100 Grain PSP laying around and a box of Hornady 95 grain SST Super performance I picked up with the rifle. I wanted to put the no increase in felt recoil part to the test. The Hornady did have less perceived recoil than the Remington. Average 2 shot groups sighting in the scope was .387 with the best being .181 avg. 3 shot groups .627 with the best being .453.

Pictures coming when I figure out what the problem is with uploading them.

Para Cassatt

I wish I had of picked up one of those when they were being imported by Remington. USSG now imports them but not in as many calibers according to our local distributor. It also appears that they are no longer importing the 799 mini mausers far as I know which was what I was really wanting anyway.

GeauxTide

That's a great, old action. Mine are Interarms Mark X, but they are the Czeck actions. I smoothed out the rough edges on the action with my diamond hone hook sharpener and daubed it with a blue pencil. It took about100 rounds to smooth them out.

bobn

mesa, congrats on your success in finding a good rifle! never can tell till you shoot it!
.....para you didnt miss much with the minis. had three of them, i am stuborn, lol. the two in 223 didnt feed, the 222 did so wonderfully but go figure the reciever wasnt properly machined. scope mounts did not fit. fwiw, bobn

natman

The Zastava mausers can benefit from a bit of smoothing. A hard Arkansas stone with oil is the thing to use, although you can also use oiled 600 grit sandpaper. They are made in Serbia, part of what used to be Yugoslavia.