Rem 710 or Savage 110 package?

TimH

I thinking of buying my son a rifle for deer hunting for Christmas. I don't have alot of $ to spend and prefer to buy new. I was looking at the Remington 710 and the Savage 110 package. They both come with scope already mounted. Can anyone give me input on either of these rifles? Thanks Tim

Molon Labe!

Savage 110

Savage 110, I have heard bad, bad stuff bout the rem. 710. I have a savage 110 .270 and it is nice, really smooth action, after handling my Mauser and switch over to it I pull way to hard, that is how smooth it is. Accurate too. I got the package but switched scopes from the Simmons that came with it to a Tasco SPL41242, bad Idea, the scope adjustments keep turning back to the left, keep away from the Tasco. The reason I switched was because the simmons didn't have enough eye relief IMHO. Hope this helps.

Will Beararms

I bought a 710 for the heck of it at $318.00 + tax. The bolt has smoothed out somewhat but it is still no mauser. That said it is extremely, extremely acccurate. I too looked at the savage and the bolt is much smoother and better constructed for sure.

I hunt in rain frequently and I have seen a 110 after extended use and that paper thin finish wears to silver quickly. I almost bought a 700 ADL but everyone I picked up was already rusting and they were new in the box.

Look the 710 is no masterpiece but it is very accurate and I like the cheap bushnell scope better than the cheap simmons scope. The finish is decent as well.

Fatcat

Definately go with the Savage 110, your son will thank you for it later. The 110 doesn't have plastic inserts in the reciever, it's barrel isn't hydraulically pressed onto the reciever, and it doesn't have that dang keyed safety. I would venture to say the 110's action is stronger as well, though I'm not sure.

The blueing on the 110 is perfectly fine. The only place where it's coming off my gun is where I dinged the barrel on a fencepost - rain doesn't phase it in the least.

I did pull the scope off and replace it with iron sights, but that's just me. :)

Nevada Fitch

MY advice is to forget both of them and find a nice used Remington 700 or Mod. 70 Winchester. What are you going to hunt and where with the gun. I personally would rather have a used marlin leveraction than one of those package guns but that is just me.

TimH

Thanks for the input everybody. He'll be hunting whitetail deer. I was leaning towards new instead of used. $400 maybe $450 buget. I want to get the most "bang" for the buck. Thanks again Tim

Bob Locke

I'd toss in another vote for the Savage. They're well-constructed, inexpensive, and accurate.

What caliber are you looking to get?

johnwill

I'd have to lean in the direction of the Savage, I've also heard less than flattering things about the 710. I also looked at one of those in a local store, and I'd personally rather have the 110. I like the other advice to look for either a Rem 700 or perhaps a Win 70 used, either would be a fine rifle.

TimH

Probably will get a 30-06. The Savage has more selection when it comes to caliber also. If I can find a decent used Rem 700 or the Win. 70 at a gun shop I may go that way.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Tim, in three years of being here at TFL, there have been few negative comments about the Savage, other than some don't care for the trigger. That is of course, not that expensive a deal with a competent gunsmith. And, it's not particularly an absolute necessity.

Where Bambi-accuracy is the determinant, there are very few rifles of whatever brand which won't do just fine. And, a careful examination of the bore on a used rifle generally gives a good idea of its history, particularly if the rest of the gun is not abused.

As near as I can tell, the Simmons 44Mag is of adequate quality (mine works well) and the over $50 Tascos are okay. I had a Swift come on one good used rifle, and it's seemingly okay. These may not be as bright as $200+ scopes, nor be as rugged or whatever, but they give adequate service for the casual hunter/shooter.

I say all this as one who usually stays with Leupold or Weaver.

For a .30-'06 deer rifle, a good used Weaver K$ is about as good as any--I used one for years.

$0.02,

Art

weagle

Any package gun except the 710 is the way I'd go. Savage, Remington 700 adl , and Winchecter 70 packages can be had for just 20 bucks more than the 710. Good shooting, Weagle

TonyPoulos

I too looked at the Savage and Remington. Then I bought a Weatherby Vanguard from Walmart for $388. You may want to give it a look.

Tony