Rem 700 VS

Coop de Ville

What is a reasonable price for a new 700 VS in the North Carolina region? The action is aluminum bedded, so if I throw a scope on it would it be pretty much as accurate as can be, save a lightened triggey? Thanks, -Coop

Hutch

Check Shotgun News, The Gun List, and auctionarms.com. IIRC, I've seen them lately in the $550-600 range. I have one, and it shoots very well indeed. I've not done anything to it by way of tuning. YMMV. By the way, what caliber are you looking for?

Coop de Ville

I am looking for precision below 300 yards, accuracy/consistancy out to 500. I would also like to really push myself out to 1000 just for practice/challenge. Probably, 90+% will be at or below 200 yards. I've been reading that the .308 is cheaper and easier to get than other cals(30-06), and recoil isn't punishing... I am on severe budget(Isn't everyone :) so am looking for a well respected precision/tactical rifle that is ready to go without any smithing... although, as I can afford it in the future would like to lighten the trigger, etc...

K

KilgorII

You can lighten the trigger yourself with basic tools. WalterGAII will be along soon and he can point you towards directions on the procedure. The VS sounds like it is a very good rifle for the money from everything I have seen and heard.

WalterGAII

I have a VS in .223, which is fine out to about 400 yds, but not too much beyond that. I just bought a VLS in .243, which is a little hotter than the .223, but still has negligible recoil. I have a friend who has a .308. Little bit more kick and more expensive bullets, more powder, etc.

If you have an allen wrench to take the action off of the stock, and small screwdriver, you can adjust the trigger yourself. For the price of a gunsmith's time, you can buy the necessary tools, including a trigger pull gauge. I use the RCBS Premium Trigger pull gauge.

If you decide to get the VS and want to adjust the trigger, just post here that you have the rifle and I'll get some instructions to you. There's also a link on varminthunters.com regarding adjusting the Rem. trigger,but the guy who wrote the instructions doesn't include setting the engagement (creep) screw. I always adjust overtravel, creep and pull weight. When you get the VS from Rem., it'll come with a trigger pull of around 6#, much too heavy for accurate shooting. You can adjust the factory trigger down to about 2#, and aftermarket triggers will go down to 2oz.

The last five-shot group that I shot with my VS and my el-cheapo Tasco WC TS 8-32X44mm scope was .246", center to center, at 100 yds, of course.

El Rojo

I have a 700 VS in .308 and I have been using it for the same things you want to. I have consistantly shot sub 3/4" groups with my 168 gr. moly match reloads and the gun shoots hornady v-max quit impressively all the way out to 300 yards so far (I haven't got to shoot it much past there yet). This weekend I am going to go shoot a 1000 yard match with it just for fun using Hornady 178gr A-max.

These are the only things I have done to the rifle so far. I received instructions from this website (I believe from the same Walter who offered the instructions for you!) to adjust the trigger myself. I did and oh is it nice. Real easy to do, just try to find a torque wrench somewhere afterwards to get the screws back to 65 ft/lbs.

The greatest other thing I did to this rifle was mounted a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5x20 50mm Long Range Target scope on the rifle with Leupold Dual Dove Tail bases and medium 30mm rings. Oh how nice is that scope on that rifle.

You don't have any semi-auto .308's do you? If so, go with the .308. I am not aware of the VS being available in .30-06. TEh good things about the .308 is you can still shoot varmints with it, long range targets, big game like deer and pigs, and just about anything else you want. I highly recommend this rifle.

Just be prepared to put a cheap scope on it now, and then upgrade for as nice as a scope as you can get whenever you get the funds.

fed168

Coop, in NC try the Gun Room in Mebane or Ed's Guns in Vass, actually Southern Pines. Both stores are reasonably priced and friendly. Both have a good selection of rifles and scopes.

Coop de Ville

Thanks for all the replies... The best deal I've found so far is $625+tax... I'll keep on looking, but it seems this will be right around what I'm going to end up spending. I read on another sight the basics of lightening the trigger by setting the screws accordingly, but will post again when the time comes. Thanks, -Coop

luv2shoot

This is my first post on this board, but I have been lurking around for about 2 weeks. I just bought a 700 VS in .22-250 tonight for $508 NIB. I thought I got a pretty good deal, but after reading these posts I feel even better. :) My question is when you are taking off the stock by removing the two screws do you need to take them off in a certain order? What about when putting the stock back on? Are these the two screws that need to be tightened to 65 in/lb? I believe I have read something on this in the past, but just can't remember where. I have heard these are very good shooting guns, but I will have to wait to buy a good scope for it to try it out. But I want to disassemble and clean the entire gun as soon as I have time. Thank you for your help.

WalterGAII

Doesn't matter which screw you remove first. The two action screws are the ones that you torque to 65 in/lbs. That torque figure is not an absolute; just what H-S Precision, the stock manufacturer recommends.

That's a great price that you got on that VS. I had to pay $510 for my VLS, and that was the best that I could do.