Rem. 700 VS versus 700 PSS

TimW

What's the major difference between the 700 VS and 700 PSS? Being a lefty, the VS comes in a left-hand configuration, something the PSS doesn't do. ALso, I have read the PSS has a "palm swell" in the stock...if this means it has a thicker "pistol grip", then no thanks..I shot one and it was like holding a 2x4 in my hand.

TIA,

TimW
Phoenix

El Rojo

The stock is the only difference.

The stock is the only difference between the PSS and the VS. And the bolt on the PSS is matte black unlike the buffed silver finish on the VS. I went ahead and bought the VS in .308 for about $200 less than the PSS. I am very satisfied with my VS. I have painted it and it has been a very good 1000 yard rifle and a coyote dispatcher. I just ordered a tactical HS Precision stock for it since I had to shim the rear scope base for 1000 yard shoots and my cheek weld is all screwed. Overall it is a great rifle and if you are a lefty, I recommend you go with a lefty VS and you will not be disappointed.

Ditto and like yourself, being a southpaw, I also prefer the VSS over the PSS for the same reason. The former is easier to carry and comfortable to field. The latter, with it's thicker palm swell, feels more like a stick. Secondly, while the PSS has an extra swivel stud for a bipod, I've decided that bipods are out for me and I'll use my rucksack, log, rock (remember the USMC Hawkins position?) instead. Besides, it's lighter and there's less to snag on branches when you're in the bush.

Fisher

Another vote for the VS. Being a lefty as well it was an easy choice for me. Even so I'm not sure it's worth an extra $200+ just for a black bolt and I different stock that didn't feel comfotable to me either.

Now the LTR is a different story. I do like that fluted barrel.

Mike50

I've been looking at buying a 700 VS or a VS SF. I am a confirmed Win 70 man, but I'm wanting the best accuracy I can get. I feel that I have a better chance getting that accuracy out of the Rem 700 because of its basic design.

Still, I just can't get over my revulsion of how cheap these rifles look. The bottom metal is aluminum with paint. The VS I looked at today had chips in the paint where the floorplate hinges and along the side of the floorplate. The blueing is awful. It reminds me of the finish put on the Express 870 pump shotguns. It is not just matte - its just cheap, cheap, cheap.

These are purely cosmetic items, I realize. But I buy rifles because I like them - not because I need them. Part of the enjoyment is their beauty. Since I'm not in competition with this gun, I might settle for an 1/8" larger group with a Winchester. But geez - why do you have to make that kind of trade-off.

I must be the only person that feels this way, because they sell these rifles by the boatload. Does this stuff bother you guys? Am I completely off my rocker?

Guess I should have put this in a new thread.

TimW

Not at all...I appreciate these comments. I am wedded to neither the WInchest nor the Remington. I have a Savage 111 GL and like it, but was looking at something else for "tactical" reasons and because RickD is getting a Savage 10FP and I didn't want to be accused of copying him!! :)

So, does Winchester make a left-handed version of something similar to the 700 VS or PSS? And, does it cost less?? :)

Tim
Phoenix

Mike 50 wrote:

I've been looking at buying a 700 VS or a VS SF. I am a confirmed Win 70 man, but I'm wanting the best accuracy I can get. I feel that I have a better chance getting that accuracy out of the Rem 700 because of its basic design.

Still, I just can't get over my revulsion of how cheap these rifles look. The bottom metal is aluminum with paint. The VS I looked at today had chips in the paint where the floorplate hinges and along the side of the floorplate. The blueing is awful. It reminds me of the finish put on the Express 870 pump shotguns. It is not just matte - its just cheap, cheap, cheap.

These are purely cosmetic items, I realize. But I buy rifles because I like them - not because I need them. Part of the enjoyment is their beauty. Since I'm not in competition with this gun, I might settle for an 1/8" larger group with a Winchester. But geez - why do you have to make that kind of trade-off.

I must be the only person that feels this way, because they sell these rifles by the boatload. Does this stuff bother you guys? Am I completely off my rocker?

Guess I should have put this in a new thread.

Why I bought a LTR (from a TFL member of course!)

Sometimes, having a wrong side bolt gun isn't all that bad for a sharpshooter. Ideally, you shoot one shot, then scoot. However, where the need arises, and hopefully this is only during competitions where the shooter is either prone or shooting from a rest, the wrong side bolt works to the shooter's advantage.

Here's how. The shooting hand remains on the pistol grip while the weak hand functions the bolt. So, if you're a southpaw, the right hand operates the right handed bolt. Now, when it comes time to reload, your shooting hand remains in place (trigger off the finger) while the weak hand cranks the bolt. It is actually faster than working the right side bolt with the strong side hand since the strong side hand has to reacquire the grip.

RickD

Being a lefty, I have decided to go with a rightie bolt for my Savage 10FP (for all the reasons you might expect).

Rick

Noban

I have the PSS in .308, with the detachable magazine. The palm swell is very comfortable for me, as is the extra weight of the stock. I never carry this rifle in the field and shoot it exclusively from the bench, so the weight is a benefit to me. You also may have heard that Remington discontinued the detachable magazine due to feeding problems. I've never had a problem.

El Rojo

I love my Harris Bipod!

I think the Harris Bipods are one of the greatest inventions ever. They are ever so handy for all sorts of shooting. They are a necesity for coyote calling here in the PRK. They work good for everything and they don't weigh much at all. In the time it takes you to take off your pack and hurl it in front of you and lay down, I would already have my bipod legs out and have a shot off. And what do you do when there is no handy rock of a rest around? Trust me, as a guy who uses bipods a lot, they are worth it.

I never really took the cosmetics of the Remingtons into consideration. Here is why!

http://home.bak.rr.com/elrojo/pictures/700camo1.jpg