Rem. 700 vs. savage, long range .308

model70fan

Any thoughts on the differences between savage rifles and remington 700s? About the only standard rifle caliber I don't have yet is a .308, I started out looking to buy a rem 700 and tune it up a bit to make it into a precision long range rifle and I started hearing a lot of good things about Savages, mostly the 12FV, as an excelent "out of the box" accurate option. For those who know or have an informed opinion, what's my best option for an accurate long range rifle in .308? Also, if anybody has any input about barrel rate of twist and bullet weights, such as 1/12 for heavier bullets, 1/10 for lighter bullets, and which combo is best for long distances, heavier/slower or lighter/faster loads (I will be reloading)?

whiplash

I have no complaints with my M700 VS in .308. But I am sure the Savage is very compairable...The only Savage I have is a model 110 in 30-06.

spctim11

Go with the Savage

I have the 12FV in .308. I dropped it in a McM A3 stock put a Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 and enjoy the hell out of it. Don't know why the photo is so small
In reality it is a Ford vs Chevy; 308 vs 30-06 debate you will be happy either way

sellme-2.jpg

By the way take the Ford and the .308:D

model70fan

I was only looking at the .308, already have a couple 06's, just looking for the rifle to have it in... and i'm a Chevy guy myself:D

5whiskey

Savage or Rem?

I haven't posted up here in almost a year, but I do know at least enough about this topic to be dangerous to myself...

A savage, or stevens for that matter, is more accurate out of the box than most of society is capable of shooting. They are not beauty queens. The stock is CHEAP! Some people hate the barrel nut thing. BUT, Savage fills a niche market or two. 1, they are a cheap and accurate alternative to a remmy 700 if you can put up with the tupperware stock and other nuances: 2, there is a following of people who tune their own savages (because you can do barrel changes and a lot of what would normally be "smith" work yourself), re-barrel them, and have sub .5 moa rifles on the cheap. I among those. I did my first Savage build last year, It would consistently hold a .75 moa group at 220 yds with cheap federal powershok, haven't shot it in 7 months until last Sunday (recently married), last Sunday shot a 3 round 3.4" group at 422 yds with same federal power-shok from a COMPLETELY cold bore (been so long since I've shot that I forgot the fouling shot). I paid 160 for the barrel for that rifle, did all the work myself. Total in the rifle... including optics, bipods, and everything ...is around 800 dollars. That includes the original price of the rifle. I am very confident that the rifle will perform at a .5 moa average when I begin reloading.

If you're more interested in having a pretty rifle with fewer nuances out of the box, and don't mind paying a 'smith, then the remmy is the way to go. They are amazingly accurate rifles. Good as gold... I never had any complaints with my M40. There is also a better selection of aftermarket stocks, barrels, etc. because the 700s have been around since Noah landed the ark. Because the stock isn't junk and the trigger is reasonable, I would rate the 700 better out of the box.

Gross better out of box: Remmy 700. The stock is decent, trigger is decent, maybe not quiet as accurate but can be. Need chamber reamers, lathes, or a gunsmith to "tweak". If you don't care to work on a rifle yourself, this is the way to go.

Most Cost effective, and more accurate out of box: Savage 110. You can do the majority of the work yourself. It's not rocket science. I also think, which is the general concensus among savage shooters, that they are more accurate out of the box. I've heard people bragging on a winchester or other rifle shooting 1.5 moa out of the box. If I grabbed a Savage that shot 1.5 moa out of the box I would take it back and swear it was a lemon.

Hope this helped.

5whiskey

I should also throw the disclaimer...

you can do some work on a 700 without chamber reamers and lathes, you just can't do your own barrel change. Taking off the barrel is a pain in the Arse as well if you want to mill the receiver and swap recoil lugs.

BTW, I like the ford vs. chevy analogy. That is very close. They are both fine rifles

model70fan

Thanks, I don't care about winning a beauty contest with the rifle, mostly just looking for a rifle that will shoot sub moa at long range with a little work on the rifle. Mainly i'm looking for the rifle that will shoot 800+ with less work than the other (not to sound cheap, i'm willing to do the work or pay to have it done), I can have them smithed and I will be handloading the rounds, just lookin for the same results with the least modification on either rifle, basically, which one gets there with less work to be done, and which model to start with. Again, thanks all and any more input is appreciated

5whiskey

you may be better with the 700 with a decent stock then. While savages are pretty easy (skill-wise) to make accurate, they do require some effort. I didn't buy a new stock, I did a bondo job on mine. Basically I would base it off of this. If you're planning on buying a tricked out stock in the first place, savage will be cheaper and as or more accurate IF you can find the stock you want to fit a savage. Hope that makes sense to ya... the stock will probably be the deal make or break for ya. If you're planning on sticking with the factory stock go with the 700 unless you want to spend hours sanding bondo and painting like I did. It turned out well, but it was work.

tyrajam

I have a savage 12FSV and its as good of a gun as I could want. It has the accutrigger, which is as good as the timney on my 223. The only thing I hate is the stock, its amazing that a rifle this nice comes with a dimestore hunk of plastic, but it still shoots as well as anything I have ever shot. If the stock is a dealbreaker for you, you can order a choate from midway that fits it like a glove, I just can't justify buying it-yet:D

Wyatt Earp

I got me a Savage 12FV for Christmas and put on it a 10X super sniper. I shoot 175gr. Match Black Hills. The furthest shot I have done previously would be 300 yards with a 30-06. I was putting one shot inside the other at 100 yards and making softball sized groups at 500 yards.

Have not had a chance to shoot further out but I assure you I will. The stock has worked fine for now, but I will replace it one day, hopefully with one that has a detachable mag.

kgpcr

I have a Savage 12FLV and like stated before the stock is a bit primitive but i just cant justify putting a new stock on it. I am shooting dime size groups at 100yrds. I have never done anything to it besides breaking in the barrel with a lot of cleaning. I have never shot a more accurate gun and i love the accutriger! Savage all the way for me and i own Rem 700's as well.

RedneckFur

If you want a pretty American classic, buy the remington. If you want the best accuracy for your money, buy the Savage.

T.A.Sharps

I have no experience with Savage, I want one though because I hear only good things on everything other than looks.

However I KNOW you can't go wrong with Remington 700 5R Milspec, I believe they only come in 308, the 5R is denoting the rifling, which is the same the US Army's 308 Sniper rifles have. You can google it and you will know more. By the way they are a very limited run every year. I lucked out and found one at Scheels NIB. Check out snipercountrypx.com, or gunbroker.

garryc

Get a nickle. put an "S" on one side and an "R" on the other. Flip it and see which side comes up, buy that rifle. That's just about the performance differance between the two.

model70fan

Thanks all, a lot of good advice on here, I would ask for some load info for the .308, but I'll hop over to the reloading forum for that.

TPAW

I started out looking to buy a rem 700 and tune it up a bit to make it into a precision long range rifle and I started hearing a lot of good things about Savages, mostly the 12FV, /QUOTE]

What do you consider "long range". But for starters, take a look at the Savage Law Enforcement 10FP.