REM 700 SPS

stillquietvoice

finally picked "used"up my rem 700. i cleaned packing grease out of the barrel. and inspected the bolt and receiver. there were no marks on either from use. the rifle came with a redfield revolution 4-12x40 scope weaver bases. the xmp trigger pull is heavy trying to adjust to 2 3/4 # wich is what im used to. the gun has great potential for accuracy potential even with the heavy pull weight i managed 5 round into one hole at 100 yards.

Last edited:

cw308

What caliber, glade you got a shooter. When buying used accuracy to me is the most important thing, who wants to rebarrel after finding out your new toy can't shoot. I started out with a Rem. 700 LTR 308cal. From the start it was a shooter, after 4000+ rounds had it blueprinted, installed a match Rock Creek M24 5R 11.27 twist 21" barrel with a Jewell 10 oz. Trigger. Changed the the stock from the LTR to the 700P bedded. I just love shooting it. Improving things on the 700 is habit forming. Then comes reloading. Enjoy the ride, Be Safe out there.

stillquietvoice

cal is 7mm-08. started shooting ppu 140 spbt and switched to hornandy 139 interlocks. loaded a box of nosler 160 partitions with blc2 powder. well see how they group next range session.

Mr. Hill

Good deal on that rifle. Sometimes you can get a really good deal on a Remington rifle if you watch for a sale or get a used rifle. You should post a picture.

Scorch

Don't bother messing with the trigger. Just get a Timney and be done with it. You will never get the X-Mark Pro down to 2-3/4 lbs.

Saltydog235

X2, that X-Crap is junk. Order the trigger from Timney and have them set it at the weight you want. Takes about 5 minutes to swap it out including pulling and resetting the stock.

DAVID NANCARROW

That Mark X Pro trigger is a really iffy thing. Bought 2 Remington Long Range rifles late last fall, and while her trigger isnt bad, mine was really bad. The bottom screw didnt seem to affect to work correctly. Couldnt get the pull weight down much below 4.25 pounds and even at that setting was not close to being consistent. And, I didnt like the smooth narrow trigger they have.

Bought a Timney 510 and all my issues went away. Nice 2.5 pound pull and is consistent. Wide grooved trigger and a truly drop in replacement.

I have heard others say that the better Timney is the 520 or the Calvin Elite, but I am well satisfied with the 510.

Road_Clam

I'll argue against everyone's hatred for the X-Mark pro triggers. I have two R700's in .308 and .300 WM , and after some initial pull weight removed the X triggers shoot fine. With my handloads cooperating with me I've shot .25 moa at 200 meters, and i'm typically shooting 1.5 moa at 600 yds. I used my 300 WM to shoot a 1000 yd instructional class at Sig Saur Academy and was shooting 2 MOA. I'm also NO master shooter, just your average recreational shooter. My skills advancement has stemmed from shooting lots of rounds, and taking lots of instructional clinics to weed out my hold deficiencies. The biggest issue with the SPS's shooting poorly is the cheap flexi-boing stock transferring pressure to the barrel (especially if you shoot off a bag or bipod). You need to do a major amount of free floating to get an SPS stock to not contact the barrel. I also filled a stock SPS stock with sand and JB weld and it helped but still I eventually just ditched the stock and bought a Bell and Carelson Tac A5 and saw a big difference is added shot precision and consistency.

stillquietvoice

sorry for the long time interval bern trying to post pics but cant srem to get them here from photobucket.
yes timney is probably my best solution but not in budget right now. also if i am to keep shooting 1-2 times a week i need reloading components.

cw308

How many rounds do you shoot through your 7mm per range trip? The trigger will make a world of difference, are you installing it yourself? Not hard to do.

cw308

Next thing is bedding, with the trigger off before installing the new trigger may be a good time. I used Devcon , worked great makes the action rock solid.

cw308

The 512 is a nice trigger, what dies did you order? I like the RCBS Precision mic for my case & seating measurements. I never shot a 7mm, read about it though, nice round. Now with fun starts finding the right load. Good luck with it. I'm a one rifle guy 1-308 l just love shooting, 1- 22 or CZ 452 varmint for trigger time, indoor range during the cold months. Shooting bench rest only. How often do you clean your barrel.

stillquietvoice

i picked up rcbs full length dies . i clean after every range trip to smooth out any possible rough edges. wont be able to adjust srat depth much as im confined by mag length.

cw308

I also use RCBS F/Lsizing die, I use my Rem700 for bench rest shooing only, l don't preloaded manually load one round at a time. Most Remington's have a lot of free bore, going with the recommended OAL and adjusting powder charge to find the right load & bullet will work just fine. With the stock barrel that came with the rifle, the jump was so long , the bullet was almost at the end of the case. My new barrel has very little jump. Both barrels shoot well. When I changed the trigger the groups got even smaller, mine is set at 10 ounces, most bench rest shooters have them set around 2. If your going for accuracy with you bolt gun, keep your headspace between .001- .002 don't oversize your brass.

stillquietvoice

i ordered some 7 mm projectiles. hope they will be hete soon so i can start load development. will be using mine for hunting and paper out to about 300.