Rem 700 PSS vs. Stery SSG?

Rex Feral

I tried both before settling on my PSS. I only had 1 SSG to test, and it did not impress me at all.

Cons: The stock reminded me of the POS that comes on the Savage rifles, I didn't like the Steyr scope rings that you are forced to use, recoil was much stiffer than a heavy .308 should be, bolt throw was slow and stiff, and to top it all off, this nearly new rifle would not shoot under 1" at 100m no matter what load I tried.

Pros: I liked the adjustable LOP using butt spacers, and the magazines were nice, set trigger was nice but not proper for a "tactical" rifle.

I tested 3 different 700's, two PSS .308's and a VS .308.

Cons: The PSS with detachable mag was not a reliable feeder, factory triggers were all in the 6lb+ range (but are easily adjustable to my preferred 2.5lb).

Pros: All three rifles shot less than 1" at 100m with loads they liked, two of them would shoot 1/3 MOA 3 shot groups all day long unless I screwed up, if something does go wrong parts are readily available.

I now own 2 PSS .308's and have never regretted my choice, they are dead stock rifles, other than adjusting the triggers and opening the barrel channel in the forend for 1/8" clearance all around. They will put Federal Gold Medal Match 168's into 1/2 MOA or better at 300m on demand.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
I used the Remington to great success on a few occasions - the Steyer rifle, I have not used but on a range. I can find no fault with the Rem... Its a good value, and can be made to just about whatever rifle you'll need.

P-35

Rex, Andy and George, thanks for the reply. Please let me know if there is something in Gun Tests.

Andy socal

I looked at the back issue list for Gun Tests Jan 97-Jan 99, and did not find the exact comparison you are looking at.

They did test the 700PSS in .223 against a Savage 110FP in the January 1998 issue.

They tested a Steyr SBS Forester in .308 against a Browning A-bolt II Eclipse, & Sako 75 Hunter.

They have tested the Rem 700s alot, but with so many models and calibers, it would be hard for them to test all.

Interestingly, they rated the Winchester 70 as the best Rifle of 1999.

Persoanlly, the gun that makes me drool is the Rem 700VS Composite(barrel). Guns and Ammo had an article on it in Feb 2000. Of course the price tag is a wake up call for me. 8)

If you want more info on possibly ordering those back issues, let me know. They run $7.50 per issue plus S&H(kinda pricey TBH).
Or, if you can find a local private gun shop like I have here in So. Calif. that has all the Gun Tests issues, then all you need to do is take a short drive.

Andy

Michael

I was really impressed with the SSG my range partner had, until I out shot it with a Rem 700 sporter in 308. He was shocked and I made out like I expected the outcome.

------------------
Liberty or Death......... without compromise.

BaldEagle

I would have to agree with Rex in saying the Styer did not impress me either. It would be hard to beat the Remington. Granted, I did not shoot the Styer more than 10-15 times, but it simply did not shoot as well as the Rem.

Just my opinion,
Baldie

bigbear

Styers i've seen in tactical competition are a little weak in the trigger department (they break easily) stock is a POS looks like they recycled a milk jug (its flimsey)the PSS rem probably a more solid choice, almost always excellent accuracy, good parts support, HS stock, any kind of scope mounting you could desire etc.

Watch-Six

I own both guns. I prefer the SSG, but it has disadvantages in the cost of scope rings and future rebarreling. If starting over, because of the large difference in cost, I would probably just go with the PSS. The PSS will probably do anything that needs doing, but the barrel interior finish is far superior on the SSG. The strength of the PSS stock and action bedding is vastly superior. I broke a SSG floor plate from over tightening the action screws. I own some high dollar sniper rifles. At one time I only had a SSG green gun with a Leupold 4.5-14x mil-dot scope on it. I should have stopped then and saved a lot of money.
smile.gif

------------------