Rem 700: Problem child revisited...

As some may remember I have a Remington 700 CDL chambered in .243 that would not under any circumstances shoot better than 6 inches at 100 yards.. Remington didn't care because the rifle functioned and was safe. Well finally I decided to make things right with the gun over the summer, and took it the gunsmith in the family whose specialty is building custom 700s... Well it's fixed now and here's a description of all it took to make the gun shoot...

-Stock inletting uneven.
-Barrel channel finishing is poor and the barrel had multiple points of contact from the stock..
-Crown was bad..

Corrective action:

Stock inletting issues corrected and action glassed bedded
Barrel channel cleaned up and barrel floated
Barrel recrowned
Bases, rings, scope remounted, scope boresighted
Gun test fired to insure accuracy

Notes:
If it won't shoot now, it's your fault!!

After talking to him... He thought I was full of crap about the horrible accuracy as he's never seen a brand new, higher end 700 shoot this bad from the factory.. After firing it before taking it apart, he checked the scope and rings and all that was good... So it was Remington's fault in this case, poor Q/C...

the rifleer

I had a bad experience with a remington 597. I haven't bought a remington since and probably wont anytime soon. if i do, it will be an old remington from 30+ years ago.

stubbicatt

I bought a 40xc with the drop belly stock and all that for highpower shooting.

The gouges from the mill under the rear receiver ring were horrendous. And this was a "custom shop" rifle.

No more Remingtons since then for me. *(Except for the 870)

Suwannee Tim

I bought a M700 CDL with a 26 inch heavy barrel, 243 that won't shoot worth a hoot. six or eight inches at 100. The fired cases are visibly bulged just ahead of the rim indicating to me an oversized chamber. I have seen that a couple times before and it is never good. I think it needs to be re-chambered, maybe other stuff too. Darned shame an expensive rifle won't group.

Did you ever send your gun back to Remington?

davlandrum

I must have won the lottery becuase I apparently got the only one made in the last 10 years that was perfectly fine out of the box...:rolleyes:

tINY

Nah, but people bi+ch a lot when they get a +urd. Remington should make them right, but usually doesn't these days.

-tINY

LukeA

Nah, but people bi+ch a lot when they get a +urd. Remington should make them right, but usually doesn't these days.

-tINY

Remington makes millions of rifles a year. I count 5 bad rifles in this thread, made probably over several years.

'Usually' isn't the word you're looking for.

tINY

Read the complaint again. It's not that a bad one gets out the door now and again. It's that Remington won't correct the ones that customers have problems with.

It'd be like getting a new truck that had a bad rear main seal, and Chevy telling you that it doesn't leak that much oil - we won't fix it.

-tINY

Swampghost

Rem 700 SPS that will almost drive tacks @ 200 yds. I've thought about floating the barrel, bedding the action and later asked myself 'why?'.

It's a hunting rifle and can hit anything in the crosshairs, why should I tinker with my view of perfection?

Knocking Rem. The trigger could use some work. I made some adjustments and did some work but another trigger is in my future.

troy_mclure

before we left for iraq my unit got 6 brand spanking new m24's(rem 700bdl in .308).

we were so excited to get these since we were an engineer unit, and dont have snipers.

anyways, one of the 6 would not group 3" at 25yd. after trying everything one of the guys noticed the crown was so off center there was 1/8th " difference from one side to the other.

we were amazed that something so obvious could make it out the factory, especialy all the work that is done to these guns.

oh, they took them away before we deployed! lol

fyimo

The only Remington 700 I have I bought this year and it's a CDL in 35 Whelen and it shoots at an inch at a 100 yards which is plenty good for a hunting rifle. Every current gun manufacturer has some guns get out that aren't right and the main concern should be about their level of Customer Service and will they take of the problem. In this case the answer was no and that's troubling.