Rem 700 or savage 10 series ???

SE7EN

im looking at buying a heavy barrel .308 and i have it narrowed down to these two. Its going to be used mostly for deer hunting and if i can find the time coyotes. If anyone can provide the pros and cons of either rifle it would be greatly appreciated.

Kawabuggy

Savage. IMO you will find better accuracy with the Savage, and if you want to change calibers later, it is VERY easy to do with a Savage. Unscrew that .308 barrel, and put another short action barrel on in minutes. If you stick with the standards-22-250, 243, 7MM-08, 6MM (might work in a short action), 260, you can even use the same bolt head, and the magazine follower.

You can also go to .223 but that will require a different bolt head, and also a different follower in the magazine.

The ability to switch barrels, and the superb accuracy, of most Savages just makes it a better choice. Plus, Savages are usually cheaper than comparable Remingtons and you can then put the money you save towards better glass.

Saltydog235

I can't say all that much about the Remington other than its a fine rifle and I have had the pleasure to shoot a few but don't own one. I did get my first Savage Model 10 in Predator Bush .243 last weekend. After shooting about 25 times and getting nickel sized groups @ 100yds on the first load and powder/charge I tried, to say I'm pleased is an understatement. I'm going to give some 70's a try over a healthy dose of Varget and see if it gets better. I'm sure if I chose to put a Hubble Telescope on it with a fine reticle it could be downright nasty. Its also a pleasure to shoot. My .02 anyway.

Savage for me....

Everyone is probably going to get tired of me posting this pic, but it's the only one I have right now.

Here is my model 10FCP with Choate Tactical Stock, removable magazine that I bought about 10 days ago.

attachment.php

Que

Assuming that you are staying with a stock trigger it's really hard to beat a Savage. Even my 12 VLP which is pre-Accutrigger is superb and is better than anything that I have experienced from Remington. I haven't worked with my Accutrigger 10FP yet, but I'm liking what I'm feeling so far quite a lot.

FALPhil

I have both (actually, multiples of both). If you can only have one, make it the Savage. Like Kawabuggy pointed out, the Savage is an easy switch-barrel gun. I don't switch the barrel on my Savage short action, but I do on my long action. I actually have two bolts for it, but it only takes a couple of minutes to switch out the bolt head.

My Remington varmint rifle is in 22-250. It is a tack driver, but no more so than my Savage or my CZ. I had to work up handloads for the Remington and the CZ. I didn't on the Savage - it shoots everything with equal aplomb. That's what I love about it.

The Remington and the CZ are better looking, though.

Desertfox01

get the savage. pick up a barrel wrench.....that way, later when you want to swap barrels, as long as you have a go/no-go gauges, you can do it yourself at home. I have had my barrel off a couple times.

Am I the only one here saying get the Remington. Teh 700 Tactical with 20" bull barrel is a very fine rifle. I own one and it shoots under one MOA 5 different factory ammo I have put in it. It will definitely do better, though. I haven't owned mine long enough, but I did find a reload shooting 1" at 200yards consistently. It is cheaper than the Savage.

Actually, you should take a look at the Ruger 20" Hawkeye. My brother just got one and it shot cheap Prvi Partizan ammo under 1MOA. It defintely had a better fit and finish than the Savage and the Rem, but it is about $200 more than the Rem.

I recomment the Rem if you need to save some money or get the Ruger if you want to spend more. In my opinion, the Savage is just a Rem 700 Tactical with an extra $200 price tag. Plus, I like the Hogue stocks better.

reloader-1

Savage has the Classic series for the same price as the Ruger Hawkeye (walnut) that blows it out of the water where fit and finish is concerned.

Savage is normally much cheaper than Remington - not sure where you are getting your prices from.

hooligan1

I own a 110 in the .270 win, it has a synthetic stock, it also shoots tiny groups, nice trigger, good safety, lightweight. I really couldn't ask for more in any rifle brand. Savage gets my nod also.;)

pabuckslayer08

700 for sure, Savage makes a good gun in the upper price range but there lowere end guns are like the Remington 710 and 770. The 700 is a American Classic is is my vote

PawPaw

Interesting, I haven't seen a Remington 700 tactical for that price until I saw this thread and started doing a search.

Buds Gun Shop has the Rem 700 Tactical for $575.00.

They've got the Savage 10FP for $625.00.

Either of those is a great value on an excellent rifle. The two linked are the same caliber, both with synthetic stocks and pillar bedding, so we're comparing oranges to oranges.

At that price, it's a wash, and becomes purely personal choice. I'd lean toward the Savage, because that's how I roll, but the Remington is $50.00 cheaper. Darned interesting.

I was only talking about the comparison for the 20" bull barrel versions:

Rem 700 Tactical 308
Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine 308
Ruger Hackeye Tactical 308

The Rem is about $200 less than these two. I have handles all three and the Ruger is by far the best in fit and finish. All 3 are tack drivers, though.

The Savage Model 10 FP-SR is not quite the same as these 3. I don't think the barrel is as thick and it is 22".

M.O.A.

i say the savage do to the accutrigger and the trouble that i have been hearing about the 700 im not so sure about them any more