Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle?

Ed Dixon

How much overall would you lose with the shorter (22") barrel of the Remington mountain rifle re: muzzle velocity, range, etc.? I like the portability (and finish) better and was wondering. I would use it for a lot of range work and for whitetails and up(.30-06). I'm thinking this would be my only high-power bolt-action rifle; don't already own a bunch.

rugerfreak

Basically all standard factory .30-06's come with a 22'' barrel----so you're not losing anything with the the Mountain Rifle----except for weight.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
With a 26" barrel, the '06 will toss a 150-grain bullet out at about 3,000 ft/sec. You'll lose roughly 70 ft/sec per inch shorter, so you can figure a 150-grain bullet at about 2,700 ft/sec.

This is right at the old M2 Ball behavior from a Garand.

You can "recapture" some of the loss with the Federal Premium High Energy ammo. From a 26" barrel, it shoots a 165-grain bullet at 3,150. From your Model 7, you could figure 10% more bullet, and an MV of probably 2,850. (They also have a 180-grain loading.)

Were it me, I'd stay with a sight-in of two inches high at 100, which is right at dead-on at 200 and roughly six, maybe seven inches low at 300.

Art

BusGunner007

Mountain MUSCLE !!!

Art mentioned a Model 7:

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/fi_7awrmag.htm

This rifle in 7mm = lightweight power.
I love the Black Rifle look. Might be a little pricey, but, it's a Custom Shop unit.
I'm dreaming of a new rifle...
m7awr.jpg

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Somehow I misread, and got to thinking Model 7 on account of the 22" barrel...

Anyhow: As a generality, if maximizing velocity is important, the '06 benefits from the longer barrel lengths. As I said, it loses about 70 ft/sec/inch. However, the .308 doesn't lose as much. Depending on the particular load and barrel, losses run, generally, no worse than some 40 ft/sec/inch.

In the post-WW II sporterizing of Mausers and Springfields, barrels were mostly of 24".

In the late 1960s, I noticed a lot of guys buying such as the .300 WinMag with 22" barrels. "Hmmm," sez I, "If I get me an '06 with a 26" barrel, I'll do as well as they do."

So I did and I do. :)

Art

Ed Dixon

Okay, Art, is there any reason not to get the 22" barrel if we're not talking about bench-rest accuracy? I meant what I said about my one-and-only big-bore bolt(for now, though I'm sure I'll be tempted again), and want to know if I should go with a BDL or even ADL. By the way, why don't they make more rifles in the Classic version? Saw that and got all excited till I realized it only came in one caliber.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
A lot of the target shooters here believe that since a shorter barrel is stiffer than a longer barrel, it is inherently more accurate. The point is velocity, and for hunting ranges within the usual 300 yards or less, there's no reason whatsoever to not be happy with a 22" barrel.

A couple of hundred feet per second loss of potential in muzzle velocity is only important if you really expect to have to deal with shots out around 500 yards. For where I hunt in western Texas, that's a distinct possibility. Otherwise? I'd never worry about barrel length.

I'm a bit "soured" on the ADL's synthetic stock. Mine (.308) has a channel down the length of the forearm which allows it to flex all too easily. Unless a uniform point of hold or rest is used, it will easily vary the pressure against the barrel and that's Bad. I think it's fixable, with epoxy and flock, but I'm lacking the Round Tuit.

:), Art

gk1

A Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .30/06 is a great choice for an "only" rifle. The barrel is long enough, but not too long. If I were looking for a hunting rifle, I'd get a 22" barrel for a long-action non-magnum caliber (like .30/06), or a 20" barrel for a short-action non-magnum caliber (like .308). Either way, you'll have a fine rifle that has sufficient performance to take care of most game. Plus, the Mountain Rifle is just plain pretty in its proportions. The velocity loss from the 22" barrel won't make a practical difference at reasonable whitetail ranges.

George