Rem .44 Mag Loads - 240GR JSP & 4 Powder Choices

Dodge DeBoulet

I've looked through all of the on-line sources and the three reloading manuals I own and can find only 2 recipes for the bullet listed in the subject using the powder selection I have on-hand.

Those powders are Bullseye, WST, AA#2 and Clays.

Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Ed. lists the following recipes (among others that would mean a trip to the powder store):

Bullseye: 8.1gr Start, 8.9gr Never Exceed
AA#2: 9.0gr Start, 10.0gr Never Exceed

Has anyone used these powders with .44mag? How did they work out? And has anyone had success with WST or Clays?

The handgun I'm reloading for is a Desert Eagle Mk VII. It needs pretty darn close to a max load to cycle the action.

Thanks in advance . . . I've only been reloading for .40 S&W to date, and have been happy with my results. It's time to experiment with something with a bigger bang, now :)

dmazur

I don't have an answer, but I have some cautions that might be useful -

1. Is "Clays" Hodgdon Universal Clays, or Hodgdon Clays, or International Clays. Three different powder types, not interchangeable. If you find load data that references one of these, I would make sure it is the powder you have.

2. A more or less "typical" load for 240gr JSP in .44 Mag is 23.0gr of Hodgdon H110. This is a full-power load that will cycle Ruger semi-auto carbines, so it should probably be OK in a Desert Eagle (which is also gas-operated).

3. I have read about concerns with pressure spiking in light loads of fast powders in .44 Mag. Powder position can be important, as I read about one overpressure incident which occurred after the shooter lowered the muzzle and then raised it before shooting.

4. I would try one of the loads you have data for to see if the Desert Eagle will cooperate. If not, you're looking for slower-burning powders.

Dodge DeBoulet

1. "Clays" is Hodgdon Clays, not Universal or International. I do know the difference, at least between those 3 :D

2. Thanks, I'll add that to the shopping list.

3. That's sort of what I was expecting to hear . . . I guess all of the powders I have on-hand are relatively fast-burning powders.

Good info . . . I appreciate it!

Scorch

All three of those powders are way too fast for 44 Mag loads. You need to move to something much slower, like Blue Dot, H110/W296, 2400, Lil Gun, or IMR4227.

Dodge DeBoulet

Scorch said:
All three of those powders are way too fast for 44 Mag loads. You need to move to something much slower, like Blue Dot, H110/W296, 2400, Lil Gun, or IMR4227.

You meant four powders, right? If not, which three of the four I listed were you referring to?

Thanks . . .

PS. Thanks for the alternate suggestions, too!

P-990

What Scorch said! For full-power .44 Magnum loads, you need Hodgdon H110/Winchester W296 or Alliant 2400 (these are what I have experience with).

Sevens

First, gotta say... love the user name. I can't read it -- without saying it, usually at least a few times. Just rolls off the tongue. Try it with a French accent, even better. :D

I agree... all four of those powders you picked are better suited to target ammo in smaller calibers. They can be used in .44 Mag, but they will give lower velocities but with the same high pressure. The only saving grace to trying to use them is that they use lower charge weights than the more appropriate powders. But it's like making all the stress, boom and bang like a real .44 Mag load, but getting mid-level velocity.

H-100/W296 (same powder, two different names) is the go-to powder for full-bore .44 Mag loads if you want to get all the nuts it's got. AA#9 is also in that arena, too.

I would rather suggest Alliant 2400 over H-110 for a few reasons. First is that it doesn't require magnum primers (H-110 does). Next is that it doesn't have a problem with reduced loads (H-110 cannot safely be run light... you'll see all the warnings about it) And 2400 is easy to find and it meters very well. It's a very good powder for this application and can also be used for other fun stuff, too. IMR-4227 is easy to work with, too, but it may use the heaviest charge weight of all of them, so economical it ain't!

Sam06

Not to beat a dead horse but

Those are a little fast for the 44 Mag. Here is a list of powders that work well in the 44 mag:

22. No. 5, Accurate
23. Unique, Alliant

24. WSL, Winchester
25. Power Pistol, Alliant
26. Universal, Hodgdon
27. SR-7625, IMR
28. W-473AA, Winchester
29. Herco, Alliant
30. N340, Vihtavuori
31. WSF, Winchester
32. HS-6, Hodgdon
33. W-540, Winchester
34. 3N37, Vihtavuori
35. WAP, Winchester
36. Hi-Skor 800-X, IMR
37. N350, Vihtavuori
38. HS-7, Hodgdon
39. W-571, Winchester
40. No. 7, Accurate
41. Blue Dot, Alliant
42. No. 9, Accurate
43. 2400, Alliant

44. N110, Vihtavuori
45. R-123, Norma
46. H-110, Hodgdon
47. W-296, Winchester

The ones in bold are powders I have used to get good results in the 44 magnum. I really have started using the Accurate #9 and #5 powders a lot. They both work well and meter very good in my Progressive press. AA#5 is also a great powder in the 45ACP and 41 Mag.

One powder that is not listed is Ramshot Enforcer. I have not used it because I cannot find any here but I have HEARD it is a very good powder in the 44 magnum and I would give it a try.

crimsondave

Everybody who loads 44 mag needs to at least try H110/W296. It is THE powder(s) for hot 44 mag and 357 mag.

Bullseye is ok for plinking, but not full loads.

(H-110 cannot safely be run light... you'll see all the warnings about it)

Very good point. Loading too light can be catostrophic.

FullCry

Hey Sam, can you give me the Herco load and hopefully one with a 240 grain JHP? How about the WSF? Thanks, FullCry....I don't mean to hi jack this thread but I need this info.

Sevens

FullCry -- best way to ask someone a specific question with no chance of a thread jack? PM feature. Quick, easy, works well.

GAR700

DD,
I use Blue Dot in my .44. It shoots great and performs well but it seems to burn a little dirty. I think that should be considered when loading for your desert eagle auto. You are going to want something that won't gum up your action. Some of the newer pistol powders burn relatively clean.
I would give some powder suggestions but I have very little experience with most pistol loads. Besides, some of us would rather point out problems than find solutions...er...that's what my wife says about me anyways.

GAR

totaldla

Not the best powders, IMO, but I have no experience with WST. There are 3 distinct powder/velocity ranges with the 240gr and (4" barrel) 44 mag:
  1. Uber fast - ~900fps
  2. Medium burn rate - ~1100fps
  3. Slow burn rate - ~1300fps

I like Clays for plinking loads.

I don't know how much "umph" is needed to cycle a gas-operated pistol, but you may be able to adjust the port to handle plinkers. My sigline has some load data with a bunch of medium and slow powders used in a revolver.

Dodge DeBoulet

Well, 2400 has come up a number of times. Is anyone actually using it with a 240gr Jacketed Soft Point? What was your starting load?

I've only come across one recipe using 2400 for a 240gr jacketed bullet, and I think it was HP and not SP. That was a 17.5gr starting load. If it matters, the bullets are Magtechs.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
2400 is good for much more than just jacketed bullets. But since you asked....

Most 240gr jacketed bullets will do well starting at 17.5gr up to about 20gr. I have never shot or loaded for a DE, so I don't know for sure where you might end up at.

I personally like IMR4227, but I don't know how that would act in a semi-auto handgun.