Rem 1100 Stock Removal

Dead-Nuts-Zero

My dad gave me 1100 for my 10th birthday back in '64, (older SA skeet 12 ga.), over time the stock has become blemished. I want to refinish the wood, but not sure how to disassemble.
Looking at recent model parts diagram it looks like the stock is held in place by means other than typical large screw or nut, possibly due to to gas recoil mechanism? Haven't removed recoil pad & spacer to look as I don't want to disrupt until ready to refinish.

Questions;
What tools or special procedure is needed to remove butt stock?
How would I remove the white diamond/spacer on the bottom of pistol grip?

Would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

RH Custom Guns

Under the buttlplate there is a big hollow nut that threads on to the action spring housing. I have a big screwdriver I made to get it off. Sometimes it takes putting the gun in a vise and using a wrench with the screwdriver if it fights me. If you take the buttplate and spacer off, it's easy to see.

As far as I know, the grip cap is glued on.

Ryan Hoover
RH Custom Guns
Fredericksburg, TX

Gunfixr

What he said.
And its a big slot. I use a 3/8 drive screwdriver blade that goes on a ratchet, only i use a short breaker bar, centered, as a T handle.

The recoil spring is inside the tube, but it is retained by a cross pin, it will not come flying out, unless someone asembled it incorrectly.

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
I use a 1/4" T handle with extension, and 1/4" bit adapter socket. The bit I use is one of Brownells largest, that is around 3/8" or larger in diameter.

There's two types of nuts, one is hex shape, and the other is round, with a screwdriver slot on the end.

Buzzard Bait

the finish can be tough as nails

Some Remingtons have a finish that will resist about any effort to remove it. I think some people call it bowling pin finish.
bb

Scorch

The so-called "bowling pin" finish is Imron, one of the toughest paints you will ever encounter. Tough, but did not always stick to wood, so it would bubble and peel.

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
I've often wondered about the tale of Imron, since it is a DuPont product, who own Remington. It's one of those things where DuPont makes it, but Remington uses it, so did Remington ask for it to be developed? Talk about getting a finish below wholesale, that would do it.

I'm like Scorch, I've seen it bubble up on several Remington guns. It was put on by an automatic spray booth, so I'm wondering if that may have had something to do with it having problems.

Gunfixr

I know imron has been used a lot in the automotive industry, especially as a custom paint, for its durability.

I have heard, but dont know if it is true, that duracoat is relabeled imron in gun colors.

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
Gunfixr, It could very well be. Brownells products are all relabeled products similar to this. Even when Acra-Weld epoxy first came out, in the two tooth paste tubes, it was a relabel from a brand they picked up back in their early history. I have that catalog somewhere, I think from the 1960's. Now, I think they're using all 3M products for their epoxies. They've not had the tubes in a while now. What was so great about it, was that it was extra-thick.

All their chemicals, with their brand on them, are relabeled. I used to know who made the Oxynate 7, and I think it may have been Heatbath. They may be who makes the Dicro-Clean cleaner, water displacing oil, and their electro-less nickel, etc. too.

My guess is, that they got the idea from Brownell's, like Midway did. Heck, there was a copyright law suit between Brownells and Midway over Midway's printed catalog layout.

haknwak

Stock stops 1100 hammer fall

Have a very used 1100 I bought YEARS ago as a project for 3 gunning. The one thing it does that NOBODY around here can figure out why is that, when I put the Speedfeed pistol grip stock on and tighten it down and the action is cycled, the sear releases the hammer but the hammer doesn't travel forward with full force giving a "click" but no bang.
Yes it does have an ammo saddle with integral scope mount but the mounting screw design prevents "squeezing" the receiver against the internals. I love this gun......HELP!