Relocation of serial number?

Joat

Can a serial number be relocated to another area on a rifle?
Specifically, I want to put a tang sight on a Marlin 336 but the base mounts on top of the serial number.
This, in itself, is not a problem as it could be removed to verify the number. The problem is that at least one of the mounting holes would have to be drilled through the serial number and I KNOW that that is not acceptable.
I have called the local ATF office and, other than a pleasant conversation with an agent, all I could get was the phone number for the tech branch. Who, by the way, referred me to my local office by recording as they don't accept phone calls:confused:. (The recording also suggested that I write the tech branch a letter.:barf:)

Joat

Wildalaska

There are ways to Mount that sight without defacing the number, talk to your gunsmith

WildwedoitallthetimeAlaska ™

Nick-Mc

"Personally" I would go the same route as teh above two posts and investigate a mount that wouldn't alter/deface (sp) the serial number, since we all know that is illegal and even moving the serial number to a different part of the gun would requiring altering the original. Plus, I could be wrong, but wouldn't the only authorized person to put the serial number on the gun be the manufacturer? Your best bet to avoid all hassle would be to find an alternate mount. Just my personal opinion though, I have no legal knowledge of the matter.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If you have to destroy the number or part of it, write the letter. At one time, what you propose would have been OK, but today it is a good idea to CYA.

Jim

PetahW

There's no need to relocate the Marlin serial number.

Lyman provides a sub-base with their new #2 Tang peep sights for the Marlin that's specifically set up so that the top tang serial number isn't disturbed in any way, per Federal Law.

The sub-base is the exact length/shape as the sight base, with a few different aspects:

The front sight screw attaches to the pre-threaded hole at the front end of the sub-base ILO any hole D/T'd in the tang - which usually falls somewhere in the serial number area.
The rear sight/tang screw is much longer than normal, since it goes through pre-drilled holes in both the sight base adne the sub-base, before continuing down through the top tang to screw into the lower tang.

The sub-base has an additional, THIRD pre-drilled hole about midway of it's length, which accepts a small screw furnished with the sight that secures the forward part of the sub-base from rotating around the tang screw, and is covered when the sight base is mounted.
It's hole needs to be D/T'd, but it's location is pre-engineered to miss the serial number.

Here's a pic of the sub-base.

DSCN0421.jpg

Last edited:

Joat

Thanks for the replys folks. Looks like the sight I have is missing the sub base. (and the instructions)
I didn't see how it would work with what I have in the box.

Joat

PetahW

You should be able to obtain the sub-base, and the three different screws required, directly from Lyman's Customer Service Dept.

Lyman Products
Consumer & Dealer, Sales and Service
800-225-9626
800-423-9704
860-632-2020