Reloads

B.L.E.

I dunno, which row of seats in a jet airplane goes the fastest? I think the muzzle velocities are likely identical.

darkgael

cars and pellets

Think of formula 1 racing
I am guessing that you are referring to the gridded start that is the norm in Formula One races as well as in Nascar.
If that is the case, then the comparison is inapt. Ideally, at the start of an auto race, all cars start independently but at the same moment. Each car, though, maintains its individuality.
In a shotshell, this does not happen. Ignition occurs, the cushion base of the wad collapses, then the first layer of shot starts to move, it compresses against the layer above which starts to move, etc. by the time the entire shot charge exits the muzzle, it is essentially a single unit with all parts moving at the same velocity. The scale of time involved in all of of that compression, etc, is, of course, in microseconds.
Note: despite the fact that a loaded shotshell is pretty tightly wrapped, there will be some compression of the shot charge upon ignition. It is small but it is there. As long as there are spaces between the pellets, there is room for movement.

Last edited:

jaguarxk120

The pellets with highest velocity are the ones that are rounder and most uniform.

Buckshot is basically a crude form of round ball and in muzzle loaders round balls will loose their velocity faster than a bullet shaped projectile.

B.L.E.

Passing through a choke will accelerate some of the shot charge, a lot of people claim that a full choke shoots a longer shot string than an open choke, however, that 9 pellet buckshot load has every pellet touching the barrel so no pellet has an advantage over another in that respect.

darkgael

velocity

he pellets with highest velocity are the ones that are rounder and most uniform.
Buckshot is basically a crude form of round ball and in muzzle loaders round balls will loose their velocity faster than a bullet shaped projectile.

Perhaps, then, would it be more accurate to say that the pellets that retain the highest velocity downrange are the ones which are most aerodynamic?
At the muzzle, they would all be the same.
Pete