reloading

4runnerman

Got a question
Was doing my normal tinkering with my loads to get the sweet spot. I found it now and i broke down all other loads to reload to new specs. Question is

When i went to reload the loads i broke down i noticed that when i went to reseat the bullet i had little to no resistance in seating. Should these bullets be taper crimped or not, I did not knock out primer,used hammer to get bullet out and reloaded.
Im going to assume that since there was little resistance that the bullet will come out easier meaning my speeds are going to be very different on those loads and how will this affect my accuracy?

Don H

In the future, it would probably be a good thing to resize the cases to properly hold the bullets.

DAVID NANCARROW

If youre re-installing the bullets into the case, you should have resized them prior to in order to get the correct friction grip on them. Just make sure you take out the decapping pin so you dont knock out the primers.

I've found the easiest thing to do is leave loaded rounds alone unless there is a safety issue and fire as is. While it's aggravating you could put that time to better use somewhere else. FWIW what you have done will probably increase group size but I wouldn't think it would be dramatic. Shoot as is and mark it up to experience. William

4runnerman

I was thinking of resizing,but also thought it would be ok. Im still wondering if just a light taper crimp would be an alternative to breaking down again and resizing.
I don't just shoot bullets just to get rid of them.That is a total waste of time and money. I try make every shot count and hit bullseye. I shoot only burger bullets and they are not cheap.

TXGunNut

Taper or roll crimp will not grip the bullet the same as normal neck tension. Use them for fouling shots, plinkers, whatever, if you don't want to resize. Crimping often makes it worse, actually.

Bamashooter

when im working up loads i usually only make so many. if i like the load i make more. im just thinking you could just start from there with the load you like now and leave the others alone unless there is a potential problem with the bullets.

Doodlebugger45

I hear ya bud. We all go through the same thing sometimes. We are loading up a progression of loads with the desire of coming up with the "perfect" powder weight for that particular combo and then right in the middle we get an epiphany and realize there was a step in the middle that we could have done a bit better so we switch right then. Later on we second guess ourselves and wonder if that little change might be more important than what we were experiminting for in the first place. Oh well.... all I can say is we're not in Chem Lab anymore. Do the best you can and almost always it will be OK. Relax a bit. It does have to be done according to the basic rules but it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect every time.

In you particular situation (and God knows I don't know a thing about auto loaders), I think you'll be fine. If it bugs you so much, go ahead and give them a taper crimp and you'll feel better about it. On the other hand, it's not a huge deal, just shoot them as long as they chamber and eject properly.

medalguy

How about neck sizing before reseating the bullet? You will get the proper neck tension. If you simply taper crimp the bullet into the case, you will negate all the work you've done in reloading the ammo because you will have terrible accuracy. Waste of time IMO.