Reloading: Which rounds are worth it?

Harry Callahan

Good evening all. Had a question regarding reloading. I currently use these calibers:
9mm
10mm
.30-'06
It comes down to which calibers would I be better off reloading and which would I be better off going to Cabela's, Wally World, etc., to pick up that week's bargain? I'm just killing paper so exotic loads are not really necessary. I've never reloaded before and was wondering how long it takes to make around 100 rounds? Still trying to talk Mrs Callahan into it. She's not too keen on the idea of having gunpowder around the house but I think she may be starting to crack. I keep trying to tell her that the gasoline for the snowblower and lawnmower in the garage is probably more unstable than gunpowder. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

"...never reloaded before..." Get a copy of The ABC's of Reloading and read the whole thing. Your local gun shop or Amazon.
"...better off reloading..." All of 'em. No factory ammo will be as accurate as ammo that is tailored for your firearms.
If you don't have the equipment yet, look into an RCBS Beginner's Kit. Gives you everything you need less dies and shell holder. RCBS' warrantee is truly outstanding. If you have any problems with their stuff, they'll fix it. No questions asked other than your shipping address. Even if you caused it or you buy used stuff(that's not a bad thing. You really have to work at damaging reloading equipment. Lots of reloaders upgrade to more expensive kit and sell their old stuff). There's step-by-step how-to on their web site as well. Click on 'Reloading Guide'.
Dillon has the same level of warrantee, but their equipment isn't exactly for a beginner. And it's more expensive.
You'll need a set of dies and a shell holder for every cartridge. The .30-06 and .308 use the same shell holder though. Saves you about $10 with the tax. Different dies though.
You'll want a case tumbler too. The cases need to be cleaned. Tumblers aren't expensive.
Decide which calibres you use most and want the most accuracy from and start with them. You don't have to buy all the dies right away.
The Kit comes with a Speer(I think)manual, but buy a Lyman manual too. Not that there's anything wrong with the Speer book. The Lyman book is just more versatile. More loads with more powders and bullet weights than any bullet maker's book.
The time it takes is a matter of technique. Case preparation takes the most time, but you can prep the cases and store 'em in a coffee can or whatever. They don't go bad. I can load 100 rounds from start to finish, given clean brass, in about an hour. Mind you, I also get some of my brass to the point of needing just powder and bullet and store 'em like that.
"...that's my story and I'm sticking to it..." It's not BS either. Smokeless gunpowder does deteriorate over time, but it doesn't go bang without some help. Actually, it doesn't go bang at all. It just burns quickly. Gasoline fumes can go bang with just a spark. Household cleaning products are far more dangerous to leave around the house too. Especially if there are kids in the house.

rwilson452

With the calibers you wish to reload you might want to consider the Lee Classic Cast press. Changing die sets is quick and easy. as opposed to a single stage press where you will need to readjust your dies every time you change dies. You would need to buy a turret for the press for every caliber you load. these can be had for around 10-12 bucks each sometimes cheaper if you fish around a lot. For your pistol stuff regardless of the press you get I would suggest the Lee four die set. You can get the Lee Safety prime system for the turret press I have heard good things but have never used it myself. The ABC's of reloading is a good primer on reloading but you will still need a data book. Lee's modern reloading has a good section on reloading it feachers Lee equipment of course the principles are the same reguardless of the press you get.

A couple of warnings.
although you can produce ammo cheaper and more accurate than store bought you will not save any money, you just shoot more.

It is an extremely addictive hobby and there is no known cure.

read the sticky at the top of this forum.

Sevens

Aside from the brass which you should have been collecting all this time... by far the biggest expense on the reloaded round is the bullet. So, you really need to price bullets and decide what kind, what brand, what type of bullet you'll be reloading to get a better handle on where the money goes. If you want to punch paper with your reloads and nothing more, then you can buy the cheapest bullets of all -- hard cast lead, and the savings will be tremendous.

I think we can all agree that 9mm is the cheapest centerfire ammo on the globe. Thus, it pays off the least to reload it. But... it also costs the least to reload it.

How long it takes to make 100 rounds? Well, if you have a nice progressive machine with a case feeder and a bullet feeder, it'll take 10 minutes. If you are prepared to invest $750+ in equipment, you can roll a hundred in 10 minutes.

If you go in to it with basic tools ($ hundreds less) then it will take you quite a bit more time, and likely 300 pulls on a handle, not including priming and charging with powder. If you have every tool set up in advance (from an earlier successful session) then figure an hour+ if you are proficient with your tools.

With just a cursory glance at your list, you've already gotta know how sadistic it is to purchase 10mm ammo. If you shoot a lot of 10, I don't know how you've lasted this long without reloading your own.

But don't kid yourself-- you may have to "sell" this to the wife as a way to "save money" but you'll spend a helluva lot more. Not even considering the tools you'll need, just the components that comprise the ammo are all bought (somewhat) in bulk. You will find that you don't spend less money on your shooting... you spend more. But you'll have a lot more ammo and you'll shoot more.

It's nearly impossible to start reloading and only stick to one or two calibers if you have other guns in your stable of differing calibers. Eventually, you'll reload for them all, or quit reloading altogether if you find it doesn't appeal to you.

But to answer the question as asked, you will save the most $ by reloading the 10, and .44. .223 & .308 really depends on what kind of ammo you typically buy-- and what kind of bullets you'd purchase to reload. Rifle bullets get really pricey, but certainly, it's going to be cheaper to reload.

One last bit--you are right about the powder. It's not nearly as dangerous as the gas can in the garage that feeds the lawnmower. If you aren't smoking around it, and you don't have a house fire, it's not going to be any kind of harmful. Much, much less so than that can of gas in the garage.

rwilson452

another note on powder safety. the containers the powder comes in are especially designed for smokeless powder in case of fire the containers will burst before the powder can reach dangerous pressure levels. do not store powder in anything other than the container it came in from the store. Never have more than one "can" of powder on your loading bench at a time. Loading the wrong powder in your cartridge is extremely bad ju-ju. There are many people here to help you but before you ask more please do your reading assignments. You will be doing a lot of reading. Reloading isn't rocket science but it does demand attention to detail.

Warning! warning! extremely addictive hobby.

Ah but the satisfaction of firing that first round you rolled yourself.

TexasSeaRay

The magnum calibers, especially 44 Magnum, are where I realize the greatest savings in handgun calibers.

I can load a box of fifty 44 Magnums with Hornady XTP JHP bullets for less than half of what a box of twenty factory loads will cost me.

I'm loading 115 grain FJM 9mm bullets right now for right around a nickel per round. And on my progressive, I can have two boxes (100 rounds) loaded in less than half an hour.

The centerfire rifle rounds are where I'm really starting to have fun. I'm on a quest--like a lot of rifle reloaders--for the perfect, most accurate round I can manufacture at my reloading bench. Looking at some of my targets, I got a helluva long ways to go.

I'm about to start reloading .270 for a friend of mine. He has kept all of his brass (the BIG expense for centerfire rifle reloading). We found a whale of a deal on some Nosler 130 grain bullets and some Hornady 130 grain bullets.

We'll end up reloading a box of fifty rounds for less than four bucks.

For me, reloading makes me appreciate the soul and spirit of shooting even more. There is the undescribable pride in taking all the necessary components, and through knowledge, skill, education and a little luck at times, manufacturing your own rounds.

There is a genuine satisfaction when I go to a range and pull the plastic reload boxes out of my Eagle bag and another shooter asks, "What brand of ammunition is THAT?" and I tell them, "It's MY brand--I reload."

And there simply are no words for when you get touching groups with your reloads. That's when everything has come together--your experience and knoweldge, your dedication and passion, and your joy of reloading and shooting.

Have to stop. I'm making myself begin to cry.

Jeff

I'd say start loading whatever you shoot the most. I save about 50% on any caliber I load for...or maybe I should say I shoot twice as much for the same amount of money. This is a very addictive hobby, be warned. Shooting is a whole different beast once you start shooting your own bullets.

Reloading handgun and rifle cartridges are two different animals...I wonder if most would agree that handgun cartridges are easier to load?? For me they are.

If you go the budget route you can get a Lee Pro 1000 (comes with one die set), digital scale (go ahead and spend 100 for a GOOD one, you will need it as I've found out), tumbler, set of calipers, ABCs of Reloading and either the Lee Modern Reloading or Lyman reloading manual. You could get a cheaper single stage press...most of the guys will recommend that...but I learned plenty by loading one round at a time on the Lee Pro until I got comfortable...then I went progressive. That's what I got when I started and quickly upgraded to a Dillon 550 after I figured out I was in this "thing" for the long haul. I can crank out about 200-300 handgun cartridges an hour depending on how often I stop to verify my powder charge and cartridge OAL.

For components...buy in lots of 1000+ whenever possible and you can afford it. Get once fired brass from auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com. Find a source for hard cast bullets (there are plenty of threads about that on here). Use your loading manual to find a powder or two that you can use for the calibers of your choice, get a box of primers and you're off to the races (slowly and cautiously at first of course).

DMZX

For me, reloading makes me appreciate the soul and spirit of shooting even more. There is the undescribable pride in taking all the necessary components, and through knowledge, skill, education and a little luck at times, manufacturing your own rounds.

There is a genuine satisfaction when I go to a range and pull the plastic reload boxes out of my Eagle bag and another shooter asks, "What brand of ammunition is THAT?" and I tell them, "It's MY brand--I reload."

And there simply are no words for when you get touching groups with your reloads. That's when everything has come together--your experience and knowledge, your dedication and passion, and your joy of reloading and shooting. - TexasSeaRay

I think you have articulated, very well, the real reason most shooters take up and enjoy reloading. Yeah, we use the economics argument to convince the spouse, but most may never understand what you are really after.

Hawg

To answer the question. To me .38 spcl, 9mm, 30-06, 308 are cheap enough to not bother with reloading if all you're doing is shooting for fun.

The Lovemaster

For me it's worth it to reload. I can reload any caliber I shoot for at least half the price of cheap factory ammo. Start getting into premium rifle bullets and the savings are greater.

Like others said, you'll save money on the reloads but you'll shoot more. It's an addictive hobby.

i am a lifelong RCBS user, but recently I've gotten into Lee equipment and am liking it as well. Quality stuff with good, innovative engineering behind it. The price is usually significantly better than the other guys, too.

Hawg

For me it's worth it to reload. I can reload any caliber I shoot for at least half the price of cheap factory ammo. Start getting into premium rifle bullets and the savings are greater.

I do reload for my 06's and I find it difficult to reload them for under 10 bucks a box or anything else that requires jacketed bullets. I cast my own lead for most pistol reloads but I don't reload .38's. By the time I cast bullets and do the reloading I'm just as well off to buy Winchester white boxes.

I'd say, in general, reloading rifle rounds will save money substantially. Large pistol second (.44Mag, etc.) and smaller pistol last.

You may save a buck or two on 9mm for every box, but you usually load in bulk in pistol. So, the savings add up. Also, this is comparing prices to your cheap ammo. If you compare apples to apples on quality of ammo bought to quality of ammo reloaded, the savings are more.

Now, rifle loads is where the money is really saved, round for round. I saw a box of Remington .30-06 for $24 from Midway. That's not including shipping. You can reload a box of 20 for less than half of that. And that's just for 20 rounds....

Quoted by rwilson452
A couple of warnings.
although you can produce ammo cheaper and more accurate than store bought you will not save any money, you just shoot more.

It is an extremely addictive hobby and there is no known cure.

I do agree with wilson here. You will TECHNICALLY save a bunch, even after investing wisely in reloading supplies.

However, if you're not disciplined on shooting the same amount when reloading as you were when buying off the shelf, then you won't save money. Also, if you go crazy and spend big bucks on equipment, then it will be a long time before you pay that off with the savings of reloading.

My advice is that you get into it because you want to pick up the hobby, not strictly on saving a buck. I reload due to my joy of shooting firearms and finding the right recipe for each of them. When I got into it, I found that I'm just as addicted to reloading as I am going to the range.

It's a big 'O' chemistry set for the average Joe...;)

Last edited:

jmorris

If you envision putting junior through Harvard with the money you’re going to save, you can forget it. The good news is that you will be shooting a lot more for the same $. With the exception of a very few, most of the reloaders I know started with the intent of saving money only to find they just increased the amount of shooting, thus cost, back to where it was before (or above).

Foxbat

Quick answer - anywhere from 2 to 5 times less than buying, with the 9mm being the least profitable, due to many good ammo deals around.

10 minutes, as others have indicated, is about right, but cost-wise... get the Lee Load Master, for $215 (including the dies) it is an unmatched bargain, works fast and is generally reliable, so no need to spend hundreds right away.

rwilson452

Lee presses

Right now I have the Lee Classic Cast for doing rifle stuff as I am a bit anal about accuracy with most of my rifles I also have a Lee LoadMaster for pistol and will begin doing .223 for my AR. I use the Bushy ORC carbine as a plinker so I am not as picky about accuracy there. Here in PA I can't hunt with it anyway.
Some people have difficulty setting up the LoadMaster. It is picky about tuning once properly set up it is a real fast press. There is a new web site for the loadmaster set up by some people that use it.

http://loadmastervideos.com/

Foxbat

I have two of them (among my four progressive presses), and the first one took some time to set up, but the second one was quick.

Yes, to make sure the case feeder works right can be somewhat difficult, since its logic is not exactly obvious. The rest is no big deal, but certainly takes some familiarity.

CrustyFN

I agree with some of the others and say load them all. I own a Lee Classic Turret press and by the time you drive to Walmart, go in and by the ammo and drive home I can have 200 rounds made that are half the price and better. You can load for at least half the price of the cheap ammo but your reloads will compare closer to the higher quality ammo you see in the stores. I bought my press just to save money and not long after it turned into just as big a hobby as shooting. I would still reload if I didn't save a dime. I started loading 9mm because that is my competition gun and payed my press off in a couple of months just loading 9mm. Now I am loading 38/357 and 223 also and the savings are really showing up. I guess I don't fit the typical shooter that says you will not save money because you will shoot twice as much. I shoot more than I did but am still saving money.
Rusty

Harry Callahan

Wow. Guys, you have given me a chubby;). I have been saving much of my brass for over 15-20yrs in anticipation of finally being able to reload. My kids are getting older now and don't require nearly the supervision they once did so I have alot more ME time on my hands. This does sound like a very addictive hobby. As many of you have pointed out there must be a sense of extreme satisfaction to know those 1" groups you're shooting are the product of trial and error, finally having it all come together with one special recipe. How much room do these contraptions take up? I have a good sized safe with a "Goldenrod" inside with additional dessicants. Is it a good idea to keep the powder in there? Also, how many times can you reload the brass? Thanks to everyone for responding. This is a very attractive idea!

firechicken

Like most others have said, you might as well figure on loading for everything you have. Most of my guns have never fired a factory loaded round since I've owned them. Loading and shooting my own loads is half, if not MORE than half of my enjoyment in shooting. Even if it cost more to reload that it does to buy factory, I would still reload. Currently I load for 38/357, 45ACP, 44Mag, 45 Colt, 223 Rem, 270 Win, and 30-06. I aslo have dies for 6mm Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Rem Ultra Mag, 300 Win Mag, and 300 Weatherby Mag (all of which I don't currently own any guns for).

I started on an old RCBS single stage, and have recently switched over to the Lee Classic Turret press. I love it. I can load high quality pistol ammo at a rate of about 180 rounds/hour using the auto-indexing feature. Remove the indexing rod, and load my rifle ammo in single stage mode. All my dies are in turrets and stay properly adjusted since I never have to remove them.

With the factory ammo cost as they are, all of the calibers listed will pay dividends to reload. For me, its 40 S&W and 357 mag/38spl.

Factory 40 S&W target ammo = about $12-15/50
Factory 357 mag = $20/50 and up
Factory 38 spl = $12/50 and up

My 40 S&W reloads = $5.75/50
My 357 mag reloads = $6/50 using Rem 125 grain SJHP's
My 38 spl reloads = $5.50/50 using the same 125 grain bullets

I also get the immense satisfaction of producing my own ammo, loading it to suit my own needs.:)